Platinum B find

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Well, I got it home today and I was somewhat dissapointed in what I found when I got there to pick it up. Both swing tables are broken...one badly. The two side shelves are fine though. The cabinet sides and back and bottom are toast. The guy never cleaned it out IMO and there was no grease tray in it so that is an inch thick of gunk in the bottom. I will definitely be pulling the bottom, back and sides and converting to open cart. The SS frame looks to be in decent shape. The cook box and lid look to be in good shape. Although one of the lid pivot pins was frozen in place. The dude was trying to pound it out and I was sure he was going to break the lid. The internals are all shot. The grates litterally fell apart. Those who say they have never seen those stamped steel grate welds fail should see these grates. They are in decent overall shape, but at least half the bars fell right out when I picked them up. There were only three flavo bars left and they were warped noodles. They guy kept bragging about how hot it could get and cautioned about grease fires. I am sure he had more than one Chernobyl with that grill.

I guess the frame is the main thing and it seems to be in good shape. I may have to try to convert the swing tables to Silver B tables unless I can find a donor grill. I have to agree now that I see one of these grills in the wild that it is a real shame that Weber didn't spend another $100 on the grill and replace the non stainless steel panels with real stainless. It is like a fifty foot chain made to withstand 30,000 lbs with a foot of 5,000 lb links in the middle of it.

I deliver my latest rehab tomorrow and then I can get started on my next project, a Gold B. Then I have another couple Silvers to go before I can think about this grill and my Skyline. But, I promised pictures after I got it home, here they are.

6HwFNxF.jpg

1CIIb0r.jpg

d7RkNvu.jpg

11U4enB.jpg

vVGTyc1.jpg

MjFuWc4.jpg

bPxXetP.jpg

YtwQJIN.jpg

BQLILdf.jpg

WDek7uP.jpg

Bruce,

Well, that one took more of a beating than the seller pictures would have suggested. That guy was pretty brutal to that poor thing. Still, the stainless frame is almost invincible and with a conversion to an open cart you will have eliminated most of the problems. You can purchase stainless tubing to make the two cross pieces that you will need when you trash the bottom, although some have used the Weber wire rack that provides support in the same way that bottom did.

I think it is still a winner. You will also probably enjoy how it sits up a couple inches higher than earlier Silvers and x000 grills, which may not sound like much but does make a difference.

Yep you sure have your hands full on that one buddy. But I think the result will be rewarding in your hands

Well I would have walked away from that one but knowing your skills I'm sure it will be transformed into a great grill again.

Look at the bright side: All that grease and gunk on the floor shelf may have prevented it from rusting out. lol. But I guess you will have your hands full. I just wonder how the previous owner managed to break the tables. You would need some brute force to do that.
I converted my Platinum to Silver tables since I actually prefer the Silver/Gold tables. They are less susceptible to dirt and are easier to clean. The Platinum tables had some dirt or grease sports I was not able to remove. And because of the light color of these stains really stand out.

If you don’t mind me asking, how much can I expect a platinum b in that shape to be worth, as a Craigslist find?

Leandro,
Prices are all over the place, but I think you could hope to find one in Florida for $100 to $150, maybe a little less for one as beat up as the one Bruce found. They aren’t common, but they do come up now and then.

Lots of Silver B's can be had for something in the $50 range if you are willing to wait and look. Just about any one you find will need new flavorizer bars, cooking grates and a good cleaning. You should be able to find one and replace the grates with some good SS rod grates and SS flavorizer bars all for about $150 and a little labor to clean it up.

Platinums with the stainless frame, being only a two-year run, are a lot harder to find. Seems like they command somewhat higher prices, but I have seen at least one really beat up one for just $50.

I paid $50 for mine and the grill definitely needs work. But, bottom line is I have the stainless frame which is not rusted out.

Back