pulled chicken in quantity

Dan Godwin

TVWBB Member
A friend asked if I could make pulled pork and pulled chicken for an upcoming graduation party. I've got an 18" WSM and a 22" kettle. A neighbor has a drum smoker I think I could use as well. I'm not too worried about the pork as I've done plenty of butts but I've never made pulled chicken, let alone in large quantities (75ish) Any advice? I think leg quarters are the least expensive in the area so I may lean in that direction but any shared experience is appreciated. Thanks!

Yep, leg quarters are what I use. Marinate over bite in Ziploc bags with bottled Italian dressing. Add some rub ( I use Montreal chicken) and I also "crack" the leg joint to speed things along.
I like to smoke them over Alder @ 250-275 with an empty foiled pan for about 2- 2.5 hrs. Put them in a disposable foiled alum pan to rest for an hour while in a cooler or empty oven. Toss the skin, pull and add some sauce.

Tim

Hi, I’d like to know how this turned out?

The party is this coming Saturday. I'll try to post some pictures. It looks like I'll be doing the chicken though on two 22" kettles instead of the barrel smoker. I'll do indirect and low temps for the chicken along with some pear wood. I'm hoping to get as many chicken leg quarters on the kettles as I can.

A little late for my advice, but the couple times I've done cooks in advance of large parties, I've just done pork butts and whole chickens a couple days ahead, then warmed and served. Trying to time all of that for a large group is tough and stressful.

My experience with pulled chicken sandwiches using whole chicken: http://virtualweberbullet.com/chicken7.html

In the past, I've also done it with leg quarters.

pulledchicken7-1024.jpg

pulledchicken9-1024.jpg

Hi, I’d like to know how this turned out?

Here's some photos pre-pulled. Timing was a bit off so I put the pork wrapped in the cooler. Still burned my fingers trying to pull the bones a hour later. I had to pull the chicken almost immediately after taking it off the kettles. Everything was well received although the teenagers didn't eat anything until much later.

fwQK0ac.jpg

VPbtF2Z.jpg

Back