General Question about the Grills and restorations

Greg D from WV

TVWBB Member
Hey folks, so I've been looking at various local CL ads and looking for a path forward to getting a Weber. I was able to grab a Silver C that needs frame work and a new firebox (nothing is truly free LOL) and continue to look at ways of restoring one Silver C for my own use, but that is of course not a simple solution. Most grills out there need serious work, and anything that is "free" is either scooped up by folks doing restorations or someone very local/quick on the draw. Or I see quite a few restored ones that are nearing the cost of lightly used newer model grill.

So I may continue to proceed this route, as I am always more keen to find something that needs fixing up for a lower initial cost than buying new. Time is not on my side, and I'm also seeing a number of the newer Weber models out and about on various CL ads. Models like the Spirit, E-210, E-310 and the like. No idea what is good/bad about those, or what to look for if I start shopping those models.

I do quite enjoy the early Silvers with their heavy painted lids and the offset side thermometer, but being without a grill is driving me a bit nuts.

I'm also not terribly sure I want to end up with 3-5 various grills in my basement in pieces trying to assemble one working grill for use that won't drop dead on me in a year or two.

As well, what the heck will I be doing with all these random parts scattered around once I get one working grill going?

So basically, looking for advice on how to move forward. Search for a B/C that could be restored? Search for a B/C that has been fixed up? Search for a newer model (what flaws in those?), Pony up the $$ for brand new with 10-yr warranty and fancy app temp whatever iGrill phone things?

Appreciate any advice, suggestions.

Here's my take on it.
Restoring an old Weber is something to do if you have time, take joy in the work and am willing to spend some money. I am an amateur compared to many here, but I am a mechanic and am handy and have access to useful tools like a professional power washer and sand blasting. I say I spend about 10 hours on a good enough restoration - meaning cleaning everything and painting firebox+lid sides and fixing whatever rust is on the frame. I do it because I like it, and because there is a pride in cooking on something I've done myself. I also love the look of the old genesis.

If a brand new grill is well within your means your choice is more about what you like to spend your (possibly limited) free time on.
If you want to save some money there are plenty Silvers around (marked probably different), but as with all used things condition is impossible to guess. I've seen 20 year olds look almost new and 5 year old grills fall apart from rust. If you have plenty of time used is great, if you are in a hurry maybe a charcoal until you find your gasser?

Hope this helps, probably not:)

Also regarding random parts; when you inevitably buy 5 grills every year to flip, you'll be happy you saved those ok grates and those two working burned tubes;)

Greg,
Take it from someone who just can’t say no to my crazy curiosity and belief that there will surely be plenty of “time” in the near future. Result: a yard and shed full of projects that, at my pace, could take years to finish if they don’t rust away first. My wife just loves it (not to mention the time it takes away from her).

I truly enjoy doing restorations, but my current life situation should have made it clear that for me that should be a couple two or three grills a year - at most - and those one at a time if at all possible. I admit to envying those who are retired and can do work every day if they want, but I am not there yet. Nor do I have a big shop or barn to store parts and do my work.

So, if what you really want is just a nice Weber, my advice is to buy a well-restored Genesis Silver, Gold or if you are lucky a Platinum. If you are ok with extra maintenance and love the beauty of wood, then go for a 1000 with nice stained and spar urethane coated wood slats. This will actually be your cheapest and easiest route to a nice grill, and you won’t have a basement full of parts to deal with.

Again, restoring grills is very satisfying, but it comes at a cost and when Weberitous sets in can get out of hand. Go for doing one yourself if you are up for all it takes. Otherwise, buy one already restored - preferably from someone here whose work you can see and trust.

Yah, if you are not careful and don't know what you are doing, a rehab on an old Genesis grill can be quite the project and quite expensive. That being said, if you are relatively mechanically inclined and up to the time of the challenge, then you can easily find a grill and do a quality rehab on it for around $125 to $150. That includes new SS grates, flavorizer bars and burners. You will need some paint and cleaning supplies and general tools. But, if you are not careful and start out with a grill with too many problems, it can become costly and time consuming.

I sincerely appreciate the advice folks. I may shelf the project for now and just keep an eye on CL for anything that pops up. This has taught me what to look for in an older Weber that has been "restored" and what is worth the $$ vs what is just someone reselling a washed grill with new (possibly cheap ebay) grates and bars.

I know I have the skillset and most of the tools to do this work, the time is something else entirely. For now I'm only in this about $30 for some paint, which can be used for many other tasks, and even if I never proceed forward with rebuilding this Silver C I have a mix of usable parts from that grill that I'm sure I can put to use/sell later on.

As for parts/pieces, if you think that you might do more grills in the future, you'd definitely want to keep the parts and find a place to store them. IF you are just scabbing together a grill from several donors and that will be your only grill, there's a number of options really. First, inventory what parts you have left over and try to sell them here. Or try to cobble the parts together with the remaining donor grill and sell it locally to someone else who might want to rehab. If stuff won't sell, and you really want to get rid of it, offer up here for cost of packing/shipping. Last resort ? Put the stuff out for trash pickup.

FWIW, having remaining parts laying around is not really a good reason to forgo grabbing a donor grill to restore a B/C as that can easily be dealt with.

Last edited:

Back