In praise of parts grills

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I was very happy to at last be able to do some grill work today. With the help of a young assistant, I fixed a couple of my own grill issues and did a complete breakdown of the circa ‘05 Spirit i picked up for a free a few weeks ago. We were able to restore the thermoset tables (plan to post later about that) and got the hood almost perfect and the firebox and end caps close to ready. I tried out my new Harbor Freight Hercules 11 amp grinder - an interesting pickup ala HF gift cards that I received for my birthday and a sale price they were featuring. It is heavy and powerful and takes a little getting used to. It did make short order of some well baked on black stuff that the Sams Club Cleaner couldn’t budge.

When I tried to clean the large drip tray, I was disappointed to find that the cheap aluminum construction - one of the lesser things the Spirit had vs. the Genesis version with porcelain coated steel - had deteriorated such that after cleaning it looked like Swiss cheese when held to the light:p.

As I contemplated having to buy another part and watch my profit dwindling away, my mind ran to the wrecked, slightly earlier Spirit laying in my yard. I previously shared a tray table from this clunker with Bruce. This poor thing had been last used as a CHARCOAL grill:eek:. That didn’t bode well for the fate of the drip pan. To my surprise, though, the identically designed tray was actually in very good condition:cool:. One less part to buy, and since that old Spirit was also free the total investment was zero!

So, it goes to show that those free part grill pickups can sometimes sure come in handy!

Last edited:
Jon, my parts piles have saved my butt many times during a rehab. Normally I wouldn't touch a grill with a trashed frame, but even then, there are a wealth of parts that can be used on other grills.

I have gotten knee deep into a rehab a few times to find the cook box was trashed or like you say, the drip pan was swiss cheese. Having to buy new was not financially feasible, but a quick trip to my many totes of parts supplied me with what I needed. Even screws, bolts, washers, propane hoses, durawood slats, etc..... all come in handy.

I just picked up a free 2004 Gold C that had the typical rotted lower panel and the cross piece where the firebox mounts to the frame is so gone, the mounting bolt looks like a toothpick.

But sooooo many good parts on this one, the lid, both swing tables, the side burner (minus the trivet which was missing), the firebox, burners, etc etc.

I just picked up a free 2004 Gold C that had the typical rotted lower panel and the cross piece where the firebox mounts to the frame is so gone, the mounting bolt looks like a toothpick.

But sooooo many good parts on this one, the lid, both swing tables, the side burner (minus the trivet which was missing), the firebox, burners, etc etc.

Hi! Could help but notice that you salvaged a Gold C with BOTH swing tables :) Any chance you'd I could talk you about the availability of right one??
Also, can you tell me how to get the end pieces off so I can remove the swing tables from one I'm trying to salvage to restore mine? I can see the tab on the one side and have tried pushing it in with a flat bladed screwdriver but I'm not getting far. Suggestions??

Many Thanks!!

Make sure there are no bolts holding them in. THey would be on the inside of the frame rail about 2" from the end of the frame rail. If that isn't the problem, it is rust which is a very common problem with the end caps. A good penatrating oil is your first option. Try pounding them out with a piece of wood or rubber mallet, but be carefull, they will break.

On really tough ones, I have found that taking the bolt out farther back on the frame rail so you can remove both of the whole 1.5 ft pieces from the end of the frame along with the gray end cap. Then you can spray the penetrating oil down into the frame from that end and let it soak down. You can also put an object down the frame rail and try to pound out the end cap from that end and have less risk of damaging the end cap.

Thanks Bruce! Great suggestions! Hopefully I won't end up having to try them all though.

I also just realized the difference in the frame construction between mine (2001 LP Silver B) and my "donor" grill a 2002 NG Silver B "Premium". Personally I don't think I care for the multi-part frames :-( There certainly seems to be a lot of interior rust around those joints. Then again, I'm not convinced the donor has EVER had a cover on it judging by the condition of the thermoset pieces ...
problem is I had the WRONG cover on my grill for the last few years (no vents) and as a result ... lots of rust especially the attaching hardware which is what started all this for me. I've already bought a new cover based on research here ... now I just have to get one working grill ...

Having never attempted anything like this I worry I may have bitten off more than I can chew :) Time will tell.

Katherine,

The end pieces are often removed "violently" as they are completely frozen to the frame pieces.

If it's a somewhat desirable end piece, then i will cut the frame to get at it.

As for the right side table, I ended up fixing up that Gold C, so it's not available. I have a condiment rack that would work if you are interested.

JKim: that condiment rack isn't by any chance the wire style one, is it? Or is it the plastic style?

Back