Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAT Pending Restoration Tips?

1969 PAT Pending Kettle Restoration Tips?

Hello everyone,
    I have been lurking on this forum for about a month and decided to sign up. This is my first post, so please be easy on me if it is not in the correct sub-forum.

I recently added custom wheels to my 2013 black kettle (photo below). This small customization inspired me to find an old kettle for restoring.

When I was at a friend's house a couple weeks ago, I noticed an 18" red kettle in the backyard of his landlord's yard. My friend said his landlord wouldn't mind if I took it and tried to restore it. When I took a closer look, I noticed the PAT PENDING on the lid vent, suggesting a 1969-1972? kettle. Below are photos of the original condition, as well as the condition after I sprayed her down. I plan on polishing the legs and triangle - As you can see from the photos, a little scrubbing on the triangle will make it shine. I had planned on giving her a vinegar bath to help remove the rust, and then coating the rust spots in canola oil and firing up the grill HOT to season the bare metal spots. My question is: is it worth trying to remove all of these rust spots or should I leave her AS-IS and just buy some new grill grates?

Custom Wheels on 2013 black kettle:

Original Condition of 18" red kettle:

Last edited by MikeInVT; 05-18-2019 at 11:32 AM.

TVWBB Wizard
    nice project cleaning up pretty well for a very old kettle.
    "WEBER"
    2010 Black Performer,S310 2007,18.5 WSM 2010,Jumbo Joe 2014

Mike in VT,
    That is a nice and not too common find. Your work looks great already. There are definitely different views about restoration of these old kettles. The majority of serious collectors, I think, would agree with your plan to season the battle scars as part of this 50-year old grill’s story. I definitely would do all I can to save the original wheels and riveted wood handle.

Myself, I am not above some minor touch-ups with red brake caliper paint and clear coat. It just needs to be done judiciously with no over spray on the porcelain. Buffing a blend with a Dremel or something similar might help, too. You could try that on some of the smaller, obscure chips and see what you think.

I would suggest you sand down the handle, restain and coat with spar urethane. You can also find replacements for the bottom vents and the twist on ash pan that I assume are both missing. It all depends on what you are after and willing to spend. If you plan to actually USE this kettle and are willing to spend a little extra, go to KillaGrilla.com and buy a high quality stainless grate. I recommend the one with the single extra large fold up, but he also makes the dual fold up. A Weber replacement for the charcoal grate is a cheap fix. If you only plan to “display” this grill, I would just buy a new basic Weber cooking grate.

http://killagrilla.com/

I restored a similar black kettle that is a few years newer and which had less battle scars. I display it to some great curiosity in my work office:

Last edited by Jon Tofte; 05-19-2019 at 12:51 PM.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 CharQ,Q2200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, SJ. 2 many projects!

Hey Jon,
    Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I plan on using this kettle as a weekly BBQ in the Summer months. I don't trust myself enough to be able to conservatively use high heat red spray paint, so I think I am just going to re-season with some vegetable oil. Before I re-season, should I try to remove the rust? If so, I was thinking an overnight vinegar bath. I think I have a round plastic tote (keg holder) that would appropriately fit the kettle. I am thinking the vinegar could potentially get into those small rust spots. I may need to pull out my angle grinder for the larger rust spots.

Should I sand the handle with it attached to the grill or drill out the rivets? Probably leave the rivets, right? I have the original twist ash pan, but my friend is using it on his kettle until I can find him a replacement. I don't plan on purchasing new bottom vents, as I usually just leave the vents all open when grilling... that might be a project for next Summer.

Thanks again for your response - I want to keep this kettle's story going for as long as possible!

Mike,
    My rivets were tight enough that I just sanded the handle in place. The Weber logo on mine is not historically accurate but was hand painted by my artist friend because I just liked the look. If yours is really loose and not fixable, you can get new authentic wood handles that look like they are riveted. They are really nice, but they aren’t cheap.

If you are going to use this grill regularly than I agree with your seasoning plan. I am not an expert, but I think your vinegar idea will work well. I would lean towards being cautious rather than too aggressive on rust removal. If you season it (and perhaps re-season occasionally) you should be good for a long time. I would put my money into getting good grates. I know the KillaGrilla ones aren’t cheap, but they are so far above regular OEM nickel ones you will never go back. And the 304 stainless cleans easily and with some care will be the last set you will ever need. Nickel plate are good for a season, if that. Best wishes and keep us posted with picture updates!
    Last edited by Jon Tofte; 05-19-2019 at 05:01 PM.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 CharQ,Q2200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, SJ. 2 many projects!

Jon, Thanks for all of the tips. I have come across a product called Evapo-Rust, which has some sort of magical powers. I will give it a try and report back with photos when I am complete. I have a question about the wheels: Were the wheels on my kettle originally painted black?

Mike,
    I am attaching a link to the Weber Kettle Club article about kettle dating. Unfortunately it is mostly about the standard 22” kettle. The wheels you have don’t really look exactly like the one they show for the “Patent-Pending” era. You might want to join the WKC and see if someone there can give you a concrete answer. I tend to doubt that those wheels were anything but white with plain black rubber.

http://weberkettleclub.com/determine-age-of-old-grill/

I bought a concentrated solution similar to Evapo-rust called Rust911. The disassembled grill parts were soaked for 24 hours. Attached are some progress photos of the wheels. I will have complete before and after photos within a week or two.

Last edited by MikeInVT; 08-18-2019 at 06:51 PM.

TVWBB Pro
    Nice job on that wheel, Mike! Looks like good stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast