Favorite peanut butter?

We've been buying what's effectively a house brand that is just ground peanuts. No sugar, no extra oils, just ground peanuts. Yes it has to be refrigerated.

Edit: it does have sea salt.

I've been adding peanut powder to oatmeal over the last year. Yum.

Last edited:
We tried a low additive peanut butter from Kroger that I thought was quite good. Nothing wrong with a pure peanut taste.

I've gotta agree with Cliff, it's Skippy all the way. Creamy for me, superchunk for Mrs. TVWB.

Skippy has been a consistent top winner with Cook's Illustrated in taste tests over the past few years.

Here's another vote for Skippy super chunk.

Anyone who hasn't tried: nut butters are easy to make.

Almond butter: turn the oven up to 375F, roast oiled/salted or just plain raw almonds on foil or sheet pan for ~9-12 minutes. They're easy to overdo and they keep cooking after removed, so pull early and next time leave them in longer next time if needed. Wait until they're cool, & the put into your food processor for ~4-5 minutes. The longer you leave them in the food processor, the smoother & more spreadable it becomes. Don't add oil but salt is fine - just don't mess with it before it's "creamy"

Cashew butter: Pretty much the same thing but this stuff tastes like frosting, no joke - it's good.

I haven't tried with hazelnuts but I <3 hazelnuts and plan on trying it soon.....but at ~$17/lb, it won't be cheap.

I got a bunch of roasted peanuts from the bulk bin last week but I ate most of the nuts (peanuts & hazelnuts) before I processed them. I thought about roasting them in the oven a little longer, then adding salt & honey.

Just be sure the nuts become spreadable before trying any other ingredients including salt & oil.

Last edited:
Jif Extra Crunchy.

From my Navy days. "Man cannot live by bread alone, he must have Peanut Butter".

Skippy, Jif, Planters, Peter pan or Aldi's brand all taste the same to me on a PBJ sammy.:)

Tim

Skippy, Jif, Planters, Peter pan or Aldi's brand all taste the same to me on a PBJ sammy.:)

Tim
My thinking too, but didn't want to say it to all of these peanut butter purists. :p
Aldi's creamy works for me, Mrs Bob gets Jif crunchy.
I like crunchy too, but it's too hard to spread.

<snip> all of these peanut butter purists. :p

Who's going to admit to trying this?

GUEST_bd9d025d-7a46-42f1-9d8a-365f7c5b8e60

and what's with all that "natural" stuff that's separated out?

Mine never separates and seems fresh for at least a couple weeks.

Personally, I find Jif super crunchy just about right!
Skippy just a little sweeter than I seem to like. My Dad liked honey and peanut butter, always made me...unhappy, shall we say.

Who's going to admit to trying this?

I will.
:)
With 4 Sons and M'lady doing daycare we went thru a lot of that.
Tim

I stopped at Costco yesterday & got the twin pack of Jif crunchy.....took a couple PBJs for lunch today. The texture's just a little different from Skippy, some chunks seemed bigger. If I went to Costco more often I'd probably stick with it.

Back