The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolling Cart for WSM

TVWBB Hall of Fame Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Covering half of one long side and the end would make a perfect windscreen! Paint two sheets of light weight steel and pop rivet them on! Put the point into the wind with an umbrella on the corner, should be pretty well weatherproof!
    I really like this as a starting point for “ultra modification”. I’m really reconsidering abandoning my original windscreen concept for this!! Not a lot more money and it’s a steel cart to boot! The mind boggles!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

I love this idea and would like to try it. However, I have a couple of questions about the mod:

1) Can you open the door to add charcoal to it while smoking? I couldn't tell from the picture if the door could be opened. My guess is it could if the door is attached upside down.

2) How do you remove the top/middle sections to clean out ash? Doesn't look like there is a lot to hold onto when lifting it out of the hole.

Thanks,
    Dan
    2012 18.5 WSM, 2012 Performer Platinum, Genesis Silver B

Well, well, I wonder where he got this idea from... maybe my post from 2016... Or, is it Great Minds Think A like?

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/ws...-diy-wsm-cart/
    Last edited by D Bird; 08-30-2019 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D Bird View Post
    Well, well, I wonder where he got this idea from... maybe my post from 2016... Or, it it Great Minds Think A like?

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/ws...-diy-wsm-cart/
    Sorry, I think you win the friggin’ cookie! You shared that a long time ago and I really think it’s the smartest design yet, the addition of the wooden top is not “unwise” but I think in many applications, superfluous. What I might add is some sort of a lid holding device, like a bale or Shepard’s crook. But, yes, that’s just too close to be totally on his own!
    I have a buddy who is planning on making a few of them for some friends, myself included! He’s late for my birthday but, I will be happy to wait!
    I think I might have him put a drain hole in the bottom for “spray out cleaning”. Maybe, maybe not.
    Last edited by Timothy F. Lewis; 08-30-2019 at 12:36 PM.
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    Sorry, I think you win the friggin’ cookie! You shared that a long time ago and I really think it’s the smartest design yet, the addition of the wooden top is not “unwise” but I think in many applications, superfluous. What I might add is some sort of a lid holding device, like a bale or Shepard’s crook. But, yes, that’s just too close to be totally on his own!
    I have a buddy who is planning on making a few of them for some friends, myself included! He’s late for my birthday but, I will be happy to wait!
    I think I might have him put a drain hole in the bottom for “spray out cleaning”. Maybe, maybe not.

I love my wood top-- plenty of room to work and easy clean-up. Lots of cooks and the wood looks the same (not burnt) as the day I finished it. Last year at a garage sale I bought a beach umbrella and mounted it to the back side of the cart. Works great smoking in the rain.

Last edited by D Bird; 08-30-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by D Bird View Post
    I love my wood top-- plenty of room to work and easy clean-up.
    That's a beautiful cart, well done sir!

I didn’t mean to sound disparaging, the cart looks wonderful. I used a scrap piece of gas supply line and a pair of hose clamps attaching the hose to the leg of the performer, works great in the rain. One can never have enough workspace.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Great idea, good job
    How'd you cut the whole so perfectly with the nibbler? It looks like the one you posted only cuts out to 11" or so? Just picked this table up and can't wait to do the same thing!

Thanks!

Harbor Freight Cart for a 22.5" WSM

I was looking at that cart at HF this weekend, wondering if it would fit my 22.5" WSM. Turns out, it will:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B30swmBBkRR/

18.5" 22.5"

Quote Originally Posted by J Grotz View Post
    I was looking at that cart at HF this weekend, wondering if it would fit my 22.5" WSM. Turns out, it will:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B30swmBBkRR/

Haven't visited for awhile. Looked at some of the posts.

1. Never saw the other WSM cart with wooden top. Just a case of "Great minds" I do like the larger work surface.
    2. Yes you can add charcoal although it is a little awkward.
    3. I free handed the nibbler and did not use a "compass" style tool

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast