Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My FIRST grill purchase and potential restoration!!

Try using Imagur rather than Flickr in browsers like Firefox your photos do not show, just blank placeholders and follow the directions for BBCForms sorry I cannot see anything

Thanks for all the input. What I did not mention is that I will also need to convert this grill from NG to Propane. Just to add another degree of difficulty. Hopefully, there is someone out there that will be able to supply the correct orifices for me.

And I will try using Imagur.

Oh boy taking a large Summit from NG to LP is going to be a tall order. I think those modern Summits with snap jet ignition use a continuous valve type, but I have never actually layed hands on one in the flesh. Same principle still applies though. Determine at what pressure you're going to run the grill. Gas line straight to manifold or use a NG Appliance regulator in line? BTW especially if you do not know how to use a manometer I HIGHLY recommend using an inline regulator. IIRC most are pre set for 4" WC but when you get it they're stamped with the pressure they're set for. Than you need to reference a chart like I have posted many times before. Find a source for proper "spuds" and have them or size them yourself appropriately for the fuel type, pressure and desired flow rate (BTU) per burner. Or just do what the red necks do and slap whatever hose you want on it LOL

One thing I am pretty sure you won't be able to do is buy a new old-stock LP manifold. There was a guy in Orlando who had a really nice natural gas one. Not the steal of a deal you got, but it caught my ever wandering attention nonetheless. I did a little exploration and realized I would definitely be working with an orphan and that getting an LP manifold meant finding yet ANOTHER used old Summit. That could be years, so I decided this was one out of my reach no matter how bad my Collectoritous is.

Not trying to discourage you. All of us would love to see you make this great grill a working reality. It is true, though - as others have already said - you have bitten off a pretty big bite for your first restore. If you are willing to do the reading and get the right parts, I think Larry can walk you through the complexities of a conversion of you existing hardware to LP. One nice thing is that for cleaning the valves, the video Chris has posted is based on his 4-burner equivalent of your grill. You will be in familiar territory if you check that out and then look at your grill.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

OK not sure why you called this a 675 it is a 650. So this is a 1st gen Summit. Ignition is straightforward plain old "clicker" the ignitor boxes from most Genesis grills are interchangeable BTW.
    Conversion should be pretty easy also except that these grills have the fixed orifice valves. So going from NG to LP fairly easy EXCEPT the medium and low settings will run slightly "hotter" than normal. Not dangerous and easy to control as long as you understand what you have. Flavo bars are noting special either as the XOver tubes are in the back not the center. Biggest issue you will have is the front of the fire box. If you see around the burner tubes is beginning to rust don't bother going further. Once the fire box goes the control panel is exposed to excess heat and open flame and you have a mess. But if the front panel is solid or you know someone who can make one from stainless you will have a fine cooking machine there

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12