Sigh... no one bought the redhead Genesis 3 on the local CL....so I bought it :P

JKim in MA

TVWBB Pro
oXVvi1th.jpg

The good:

redhead lid is nearly perfect
came with Weber stainless steel FBs
side burner works
the lower shelves are in great shape

The bad:

the left side frame piece with where the firebox mounts has some rot, TBD how bad it is (don't worry, I have a spare piece that's in very good shape)
the control panel has been drilled for an igniter (why?!?)

I spoke with the owner and he said it has been in the family since day 1 (his parents bought it new)

Last edited:
Congrats! I am glad you saved it, JKim. That side burner is SO cool. Even has the old warning labels!!

Looks like maybe someone did a mod to add that red button starter, but also looks like it as the early control panel. You even got really lucky to get the old, old style wheels still pretty much intact. I hope you will be able to find time to give it a great restoration!

My guess is the old igniter stopped working and is still there. They didn't know how to remove the control panel to get to it, so they just made a new hole for the new one. The control panels are pretty common. If you want to replace it, let me know, I am sure I have a spare.

But then, after thinking about it, it might be the igniter for the side burner. If there isn't one under that panel in front of the extra burner, then that would probably be it. But, that seems like an odd solution for the spare burner igniter.

Bruce,

I think you can just barely see the igniter on the front of the side burner, so I agree with your hunch about it being an add-on. As far as the control panel, while it is true that Genesis 1000 panels are common, I don't think you see too many like this one appears to be with the really plain design and the igniter cover with little or no trim. It's a little hard to say from the picture angle. The early Genesis I panels are different, and the one that Rich got must have been practically a prototype because it is even more plain than those.

Couple weekends from now we should know what he's got :)

If it were me I would be obsessed and would make it my main priority.

This is why I don't do flips. I'd make more money working part time at Wawa.

Good eye, Jon. It is indeed the older design with the plain controls, which is why I'm a bit bummed about it having a hole for an igniter. However, I knew about it in advance and it wasn't a deal-breaker.

I will replace it with a spare x000 panel (I have several in stock).

JKim,

If you don't want the damaged panel, keep me in mind. I would give a little for it, even with the damage!

Couple weekends from now we should know what he's got :)

If it were me I would be obsessed and would make it my main priority.

This is why I don't do flips. I'd make more money working part time at Wawa.

That's my problem...I would make more BUYING gas at Wawa! A hopeless collector, but only a few tax returns to go and then:confused:

So, far my only small listed item isn't exactly bringing much attention. I am really looking forward to getting some Weber gassers done. It seems like they do sell here in my locale, even half-baked newer Spirits.

Jon T: Would a Genesis 1000 "fit" the Genesis 3? Or is is all a mater of the difference in printing on the panel?

Jon T: Would a Genesis 1000 "fit" the Genesis 3? Or is is all a mater of the difference in printing on the panel?

It is the same size with the holes based on the same original spread for the 13 bar burner set up. I guess as time went on they added more graphics to it, but the metal I think is exactly the same.

OK, for some reason there are a lot of the Genesis 1000 grills around me, but very few of the earlier Genesis 1000-5000 grills. Like almost none in fact.

It sat in my car all weekend and I didn't get a chance to look at it until this morning.... This grill is a basket case!

All of the frame pieces have rust (I have frame parts in inventory to replace them all, but still)

As it was with my other older grill (Genesis 2), the firebox uses thumbscrews to mount the manifold to the firebox. I've never had good luck with these.

The burners are trashed. Surprisingly, the crossover tube is intact. That's good since I have extra good burners but no crossover tubes.

I have all of the parts to make this a functional grill, and I did get a perfect redhead lid and a working side burner out of this grill... but this was not one of my better acquisitions.

Pics of the carnage are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/NyxtMGU1ad2B2sVa6

Back