Ray's Florida Marinade

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
LAMPE -This marinade received a Very Good rating the first time we made it 3 years ago and it still did when we made it in Jan. Says it is good for chicken or flank steak, but the last time we made it we marinated a pork tenderloin in one bag and large shrimp in another bag with lots of onion in both and grilled everything. Mmmm, delicious. Oh, the first time we made it, it was Nat'l Florida day. Good timing!!! lol

Ray's Florida Marinade
(makes about 2 cups)

1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 TB soy sauce
1 TB balsamic vinegar
1 jalapeno chile, seeds and stem removed, chopped fine
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 TB sugar
1 TB salt

Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive bowl, mix well, and refrigerate before using. Store in covered glass or plastic container in refrigerator for up to 1 week. ( I guess it is up to the user how long they marinate their food)

Source: Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook - Ray Lampe

Last edited:
Thanks Cliff, I'm hoping you make it. I think it's time for some more shrimp for me. lol

Nothing beats fresh squeezed OJ. It's a treat when I put a 1/2 gallon for $8 at the local Market Basket. Well worth it.

Joan, do you use fresh squeezed for this recipe? Or is the carton OJ good enough?

Nothing beats fresh squeezed OJ. It's a treat when I put a 1/2 gallon for $8 at the local Market Basket. Well worth it.

Joan, do you use fresh squeezed for this recipe? Or is the carton OJ good enough?
We use fresh squeezed Florida orange juice, 52 fl. oz. for $3.34. But we do squeeze our own lime juice (and lemon juice). lol

That is cheap! Is it a seasonal item for you? Where do you buy it?

Bill, our local grocery store (Publix) is running a sale this week - 3/$10 We bought 1 and we saved .65 cents. I have never paid attention if it is a seasonal thing.

I will have to look for it the next time I visit my parents. I like Publix as they have good quality stuff and Boars Head in the deli department. My parents prefer WinnDixie or Kash and Karry. They think Publix is overpriced.

I will have to look for it the next time I visit my parents. I like Publix as they have good quality stuff and Boars Head in the deli department. My parents prefer WinnDixie or Kash and Karry. They think Publix is overpriced.

Bill, your parents are right. But once in a while they will have some good sales. We also use Winn Dixie, but never heard of Kash and Karry.

LAMPE -This marinade received a Very Good rating the first time we made it 3 years ago and it still did when we made it in Jan. Says it is good for chicken or flank steak, but the last time we made it we marinated a pork tenderloin in one bag and large shrimp in another bag with lots of onion in both and grilled everything. Mmmm, delicious. Oh, the first time we made it, it was Nat'l Florida day. Good timing!!! lol

Ray's Florida Marinade
(makes about 2 cups)

1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1 TB soy sauce
1 TB balsamic vinegar
1 jalapeno chile, seeds and stem removed, chopped fine
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 TB sugar
1 TB salt

Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive bowl, mix well, and refrigerate before using. Store in covered glass or plastic container in refrigerator for up to 1 week. ( I guess it is up to the user how long they marinate their food)

Source: Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook - Ray Lampe

I have a small juicer so I can make the orange and lime juice from there.

Would this be good for chicken breasts? I am also trying to incorporate more shrimp, so I can also try that. What do you think? Which one should I do?

How many chicken breasts or large shrimp pieces will the marinade be good for? So I know if I want to double the recipe to make more marinade.

How long should I marinade for? 24 hours?

I'm thinking if I go with shrimp, I'll use the gas grill. If I go with chicken, I'll use the lower rack on the WSM (since that's my charcoal grill).

I have a small juicer so I can make the orange and lime juice from there.

Would this be good for chicken breasts? I am also trying to incorporate more shrimp, so I can also try that. What do you think? Which one should I do?

How many chicken breasts or large shrimp pieces will the marinade be good for? So I know if I want to double the recipe to make more marinade.

How long should I marinade for? 24 hours?

I'm thinking if I go with shrimp, I'll use the gas grill. If I go with chicken, I'll use the lower rack on the WSM (since that's my charcoal grill).

Arun, I am not a big fan of chicken breast, I would use thighs and of course shrimp (big fan of shrimp lol) and 4 hours of marinating should be enough. I'm sorry, I don't know how many of each the recipe will marinate. DH probably cut the recipe in half just for the 2 of us.

How should I grill the shrimp?

I bought the Chicken Of The Sea shrimp, that said there's between 26-30 pieces per pound.

Looking at it now, do you think it will fall through the grates on a gas grill?

These are what the grates look like:

https://i.imgur.com/EKjL5AP.jpg

If so, should I then use a wooden plank?

Or should I just cook it through different means?

How should I grill the shrimp?

I bought the Chicken Of The Sea shrimp, that said there's between 26-30 pieces per pound.

Looking at it now, do you think it will fall through the grates on a gas grill?

These are what the grates look like:

https://i.imgur.com/EKjL5AP.jpg

If so, should I then use a wooden plank?

Or should I just cook it through different means?
Anyone out there that can answer these questions for Arun?

Back