Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Ray's Florida Marinade

  1. #1
    TVWBB Super Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    344

    Ray's Florida Marinade

    LAMPE -This marinade received a Very Good rating the first time we made it 3 years ago and it still did when we made it in Jan. Says it is good for chicken or flank steak, but the last time we made it we marinated a pork tenderloin in one bag and large shrimp in another bag with lots of onion in both and grilled everything. Mmmm, delicious. Oh, the first time we made it, it was Nat'l Florida day. Good timing!!! lol

    Ray's Florida Marinade
    (makes about 2 cups)

    1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
    1 TB soy sauce
    1 TB balsamic vinegar
    1 jalapeno chile, seeds and stem removed, chopped fine
    1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 TB sugar
    1 TB salt

    Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive bowl, mix well, and refrigerate before using. Store in covered glass or plastic container in refrigerator for up to 1 week. ( I guess it is up to the user how long they marinate their food)

    Source: Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook - Ray Lampe
    Last edited by Joan; 06-29-2019 at 09:03 AM.

  2. #2
    TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Cliff Bartlett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Redding CA
    Posts
    10,257
    Tasty sounding marinade Joan. Will bookmark this one.
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

  3. #3
    TVWBB Super Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    344
    Thanks Cliff, I'm hoping you make it. I think it's time for some more shrimp for me. lol

  4. #4
    TVWBB Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    592
    Nothing beats fresh squeezed OJ. It's a treat when I put a 1/2 gallon for $8 at the local Market Basket. Well worth it.

    Joan, do you use fresh squeezed for this recipe? Or is the carton OJ good enough?

  5. #5
    TVWBB Super Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSmith View Post
    Nothing beats fresh squeezed OJ. It's a treat when I put a 1/2 gallon for $8 at the local Market Basket. Well worth it.

    Joan, do you use fresh squeezed for this recipe? Or is the carton OJ good enough?
    We use fresh squeezed Florida orange juice, 52 fl. oz. for $3.34. But we do squeeze our own lime juice (and lemon juice). lol

  6. #6
    TVWBB Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    592
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    We use fresh squeezed Florida orange juice, 52 fl. oz. for $3.34. But we do squeeze our own lime juice (and lemon juice). lol
    That is cheap! Is it a seasonal item for you? Where do you buy it?

  7. #7
    TVWBB Super Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSmith View Post
    That is cheap! Is it a seasonal item for you? Where do you buy it?
    Bill, our local grocery store (Publix) is running a sale this week - 3/$10 We bought 1 and we saved .65 cents. I have never paid attention if it is a seasonal thing.

  8. #8
    TVWBB Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    592
    I will have to look for it the next time I visit my parents. I like Publix as they have good quality stuff and Boars Head in the deli department. My parents prefer WinnDixie or Kash and Karry. They think Publix is overpriced.

  9. #9
    TVWBB Super Fan
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    344
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSmith View Post
    I will have to look for it the next time I visit my parents. I like Publix as they have good quality stuff and Boars Head in the deli department. My parents prefer WinnDixie or Kash and Karry. They think Publix is overpriced.
    Bill, your parents are right. But once in a while they will have some good sales. We also use Winn Dixie, but never heard of Kash and Karry.

  10. #10
    TVWBB Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Fremont, California, USA
    Posts
    598
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    LAMPE -This marinade received a Very Good rating the first time we made it 3 years ago and it still did when we made it in Jan. Says it is good for chicken or flank steak, but the last time we made it we marinated a pork tenderloin in one bag and large shrimp in another bag with lots of onion in both and grilled everything. Mmmm, delicious. Oh, the first time we made it, it was Nat'l Florida day. Good timing!!! lol

    Ray's Florida Marinade
    (makes about 2 cups)

    1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
    1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
    1 TB soy sauce
    1 TB balsamic vinegar
    1 jalapeno chile, seeds and stem removed, chopped fine
    1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 TB sugar
    1 TB salt

    Combine all the ingredients in a nonreactive bowl, mix well, and refrigerate before using. Store in covered glass or plastic container in refrigerator for up to 1 week. ( I guess it is up to the user how long they marinate their food)

    Source: Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook - Ray Lampe
    I have a small juicer so I can make the orange and lime juice from there.

    Would this be good for chicken breasts? I am also trying to incorporate more shrimp, so I can also try that. What do you think? Which one should I do?

    How many chicken breasts or large shrimp pieces will the marinade be good for? So I know if I want to double the recipe to make more marinade.

    How long should I marinade for? 24 hours?

    I'm thinking if I go with shrimp, I'll use the gas grill. If I go with chicken, I'll use the lower rack on the WSM (since that's my charcoal grill).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •