Need a WOW recipe

JoeE

I am cooking for my in-laws for their 45 wedding anniversary next month and I am looking for a recipe that will "WOW" them and make a real impression on how I can smoke meat. I have made, and am good at brisket, pulled pork, ribs, chicken and bacon. I have also made a porketta for Christmas this year and that was Amazing! I'm looking for you thoughts and suggestions on recipes that you made or have created from scratch that I can smoke for them for a main dish. I have an appetizer covered already. I also have a couple kettles if a smoke for flavor is good that then a sear on a grill to set a nice crust on something. I just cannot find anything that is "known good" as most recipes look and sound good but I have made a lot of them that are just garbage when I cook them.

Thank you,
-Joe

Do something they would not expect to be smoked like meatloaf. The first time I brought it in for a potluck, it totally wowed people.

45 yrs? Congrats! We have 4 yrs to hit that.. I would expect my Sons would do a prime rib or strip loin roast or tenderloin.
We like steaks, but the presentation of a whole roast perfectly smoked/grilled is a thing of beauty.:wsm:

Tim

Joe, I think Clint is spot on. Make a good rub (in advance). A variation of Butt Rub for Jane is one of my favorites. And yes No.5 Sauce is too!
Plan your cook so you are not rushed-don't fight the stress of a slow poke piece of meat. A butt can rest for hours in a preheated (with hot tap water) cooler.
Also plan some sides that will impress.

I have done a suckling pig on the WSM for a special occasion but do you want to do it for the first time that night? Do what you do best. I would do a brisket or prime rib.

Back