Aaron Franklin Master Class

I saw that. 90 bucks is too much for me to swing right now and I have to wonder if it's of any use to people who aren't beginners. There is some fire management stuff for offsers I'd be into.

Jury is still out , for me. I'll wait till I read some reviews. I got a lot of places to put $90 of barbecue money.

Texas Monthly's Daniel Vaughan did a review. He's a huge Franklin fan, so the review is overwhelmingly positive. But it does provide good info about the content and its usefulness. I have the book and have seen the TV show videos, so I wonder about how much more info he could offer unless he came to your house and helped you cook a brisket. Or you could look at it this way -- The Master Class is 3 hours and 36 minutes in total, so that's only about 33 cents a minute.

The interesting bit of news is that his long-rumored backyard smoker is getting ready to go into production. A friend is on the waiting list: No pricing has yet been given -- several thousands I'd suppose.
https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/aa...vyG7I7J6pSOAAdYLSY4_5n6BINdDQ1_CeGhCnMpYRzNbM

Jeff

I've seen that. They showed a picture of one in the newsletter I signed up on the website a long time ago. It looks like a 20 inch diameter pit but it's seems pretty long. Once my wife gets out of nursing school and gets employed I'm looking to buy a really nice offset. She gave me the go-ahead for putting up with her going back to school and me taking on way more of the household and child responsibilities.

I would be more interested in the smoker, if he added a 30 minute vid on how to manage the fire in that smoker. That might cinch the deal for me.

Its very cool looking, but I wonder how much better it would be than my Old Country Brazos. Like most everything, the Law of Diminishing Returns comes in play. I could spend twice as much on a smoker, but is the barbecue gonna be twice as good ?

I've seen that. They showed a picture of one in the newsletter I signed up on the website a long time ago. It looks like a 20 inch diameter pit but it's seems pretty long. Once my wife gets out of nursing school and gets employed I'm looking to buy a really nice offset. She gave me the go-ahead for putting up with her going back to school and me taking on way more of the household and child responsibilities.

I did the same while my wife went to nursing school a few years ago. I wish I would have used if for leverage. Smooth move... :cool:

I was deep in the YouTube rabbit hole tonight when a commercial popped up about Franklin's courses. I usually skip YouTube commercials as soon as possible, but I hung out & watched this one.

Pretty brilliant from a business standpoint. He owns one of the most well known bbq joints in the country & created some online courses to teach the masses how to bbq? Brilliant!

I just picked up his book and am enjoying reading it. It makes me want to get a stick burner. As far as him getting too commercial, I don't see why he shouldn't maximize his income while he can. The restaurant business is a finicky beast and he can't put in such long days forever. At some point, he is going to need to take time to himself and having a few income streams along with a good bank account will help that. It's not like he's slapping his face on some mass produced made for infomercials products.

I wouldn't mind checking out the class. I did a BrisketU class here in Houston at the local brewery, Back Pew Brewing, and it was very informative. I already had a good idea of what I was doing, but I got some tips I still use today. It's the same reason I grabbed the Franklin Barbecue book, knowledge is power. It's also half the battle. The more I know, the better at BBQ I will be.

Got the same email and came here to see what everyone thought. On a related topic. Took the Weber master class May 3rd and 4th. Geeat people but i left early.

I just picked up his book and am enjoying reading it. It makes me want to get a stick burner. As far as him getting too commercial, I don't see why he shouldn't maximize his income while he can. The restaurant business is a finicky beast and he can't put in such long days forever. At some point, he is going to need to take time to himself and having a few income streams along with a good bank account will help that. It's not like he's slapping his face on some mass produced made for infomercials products.

I wouldn't mind checking out the class. I did a BrisketU class here in Houston at the local brewery, Back Pew Brewing, and it was very informative. I already had a good idea of what I was doing, but I got some tips I still use today. It's the same reason I grabbed the Franklin Barbecue book, knowledge is power. It's also half the battle. The more I know, the better at BBQ I will be.

See, for me that's the problem, there's no way I'm going to get a stick burner. Since I bought my 26er 4-5 years ago, I hardly ever use my WSM anymore, and and at that, it's only for big pulled pork cooks or briskets.

Since I'm no longer competing and I'm not getting any complaints on what I cooking now, I'm not plunking down almost a C-Note to learn about a method I'll never use. I've seen most, of not all, of his current videos, he didn't act like he was holding anything back. so what could be in these videos that he hasn't shown us?

BD

Back