Chicken Finishing Sauce

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
We've been trying to come up with a finishing sauce for our chicken and so far have come up short. Does anyone have a recipe that they are willing to share... without giving away too many secrets? Thanks a bunch.

Do you mean a barbecue sauce? One to use while the chicken is cooking? Or a finishing sauce - one to use when you pull (shred) the chicken? Or a sauce to serve on or with the chicken after it has cooked and been plated?

sorry, I should have been more clear. During competitions, we've seen teams "dunk" their chicken to create almost a glaze over the piece. It's not a thick sauce but gives it a nice effect.

I haven't used a hot-tub before, what's that process? Thanks to you both.

For my glaze I add Pecan syrup to my sauce. A lot of people add syrups and honeys to a sauce to create a shiny, thicker glaze than just sauce alone.

As for my recipe, still working on perfecting that, although it the current version did get good reviews at this past weekend's BBQ festival.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I haven't used a hot-tub before, what's that process? Thanks to you both. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you should be able to get the flow from pickled pig's recipe. We've found that mixing the liquid from the hot tub with some sauce makes for a good dip.

I should mention that I do not follow that recipe so the liquid generated by the hot tub may be significantly different. I mentioned the link because it's where I learned how to use the hot tub.

IMO it's imperitive to thin the sauce some so you can dredge the thighs to make a uniform coat.

the thigh at 3:00 is about what I like them to look like:
IMG_4443.JPG

Ok tried the pickled pig scrape the skin trick twice now. Its a fun cook if your not doing more than a dozen. If you think trimming and skinning the membrane off 6 racks of spares is a pain this recipe is not for you. I thinned my sauce with some of the pan juice and it turned the finishing sauce very orange. Not the deep maroon color that u have. I also brined them which they don't do in the pig recipe. Its very very good. This time with the brine it was a little to salty so I don't think I would of done good. But when I get my outdoor prep area done next weekend I'll be giving it another go. I didn't wash off the brine, brined too long maybe (bout 18 hrs), and used a store bought rub with a lot of salt, mistake! But I just made a killer rub and gonna use less salt in the shorter brine. It was still that good that I'm making it again. Not that I want to compete I just love prepping bbq and love a challenge also we never have people over so I am basically just cooking for me which is fine by me! Thanks yall.

Nothing on jeff's appearance but hey ya gotta start somewhere!
utf-8BSU1HMDA1NzgtMjAxMDEwMTctMjMyNS5qcGc.jpg

Back