Rotisserie WITHOUT infrared?

Gary Winters

Quick question:

I have acquired a 2006 Summit Platinum which comes with a rotisserie and an infrared burner - BUT - I'm having trouble getting my burner to light. Probably need a new ignitor kit, but in the meantime... maybe this is a dumb question, but anyway: can I cook a chicken on the rotisserie without the IR burner? I'd just have some combination of the regular burners to use - there are six.

If I CAN do it without the IR, do I put burners 1-2 and 5-6 on high, and keep the middle burners off, or just the opposite, or something else? I'm eager to use the rotisserie but if I must, I'll order the ignitor kit and wait patiently...and wait... and wait... until I can get it installed. TIA!

You can do it but the results will be poor just like trying on a newer Genesis with front to back burners rather than E/W burners. It just does not work well

Gary:
Didn't you say in another thread you could manually light the side burner and the rotisserie? I don't have that grill, but others here like Jon do. They would know much better what combination of burners to utilize if you manually light the rotisserie.

Yep, that was me. I can actually light the side burner now with the ignitor. But it doesn't seem to want to ignite the ir. Still monkeying around with it. I have a small torch and that may work!

Gary:
Didn't you say in another thread you could manually light the side burner and the rotisserie? I don't have that grill, but others here like Jon do. They would know much better what combination of burners to utilize if you manually light the rotisserie.

Gary, put a disposable aluminum pan under the chicken? That way you're cooking by convection rather than radiant heat.

LMichaels, glad I could provide you some laughs. I guess I've been doing rotisserie wrong. Can you help me out and explain to me the one and only preferred way to do it. Thanks!

tSUuIJj.jpg

LMichaels, I'm cooking rotisserie on a Q100, so I just get direct heat with the one and only burner. I need a heat deflector when I'm doing a rotisserie cook with a large piece of meat to prevent the outside from getting charred while the inside is still raw. Is there another way I'm supposed to rotisserie? Any tips you have would be super helpful.

Putting a pan in there does NOT make a magical "convection" version. It's still the same type of heat the pan just acts as a shield. That is what I found as funny. Convection requires forced air movement so unless you're also installing a fan in the grill you don't have convection

LMichaels, how can i improve my q100 rotisserie cooks, if at all? Or do I need to post a new thread? Sorry, Gary Winters, for the high jack. Well, to tie it to the original post... How do you rotisserie under less than ideal conditions? What are the optimal and not-optimal conditions?

My first question is where the heck did you find a way to spin on a Q? I think if you could it might be an ideal spinning machine because it has that ring burner which surrounds the food. I know I would live to find a way to do it on my Q320

That would be a nice thing to get. Wonder if I could get my brit friend to get me one for my Q320

LMichaels and all, I was in Germany for a bit and took advantage of the fact that they sold the roti insert for the Qs.

I also have a roti insert for the Weber Go Anywhere that I bought from a German vendor. The WGA insert is pretty cool and I consider the Go Anywhere one of my most versatile grills with that and some additional accessories.

Any word on the infrared fix, Gary?

Back