Just FYI on a CL scam

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I had an email through CL from someone that was interested in my platinum kettle he wanted to know if I still had it. I replayed to him that I did.

Here's the email I got from him the next day.

Good,i am interested in having it but Am currently out of town at the moment till ending of June i can send you a cashiers check tomorrow and after you get your cash. my movers payment will be included in the check i will be sending you. I'm willing to add an additional $20 just to secure the purchase. If that's okay kindly send me your full name and a mailing address.with your cell number to keep you updated.. Thanks

Think that cashiers check will be a forgery? I do.

Wow.... usually that scam is for higher dollar items, cars very frequently. It's been around for a long, long time, though.

Cash is king.

Scam for sure.
I learned the hard way to never respond to "is it still available"?
A record amount of spam starting filling my spam filter.
I don't sell there much, but when I do I only respond by calling a provided number from the person interested.

Yep. I got something similar the last time I listed something on CL..............which is the last time I will ever list anything on CL. FB Marketplace and Offer Up is what I use these days.

This is a very old scam method. The buyer gets a your item and you get a fake check and you have to pay the "shipper" on top. Meaning they get your item and your money. And you have nothing after the check bounces. I have seen these emails too. However not so many anymore since I have started putting a note in the ad that I take cash only.
I just ignore these emails. I also do not list my phone number on CL.
So far my best experience has been with FB marketplace. I just sold a grill last night through FB marketplace. I don't like the way OfferUp and similar apps work. I scan them but I do use them for selling.

This was new to me. I've sold quite a few grills and other things on CL over the past few years and never had a problem. I'll be more careful how I post on CL now. I don't belong to FB and offerUp is a Joke here.

Ran into nearly the exact same thing attempting to sell an aluminum car tire rim for my step-son. Two quick offers with similar spiel regarding cashier's check. One person was in Georgia. i read the warning on CL concerning cashiers checks and declined offer. Modified my post to cash only, no exceptions, hoping to snag someone within driving distance. I didn't.:mad:

Last edited:
I ran into this about 10 years ago. I was selling something for $600 and the guy mailed me three $600 money orders. I was suspicious so I took them to the post office to confirm that they were fake. Yup, they were.

My wife got an email many years ago that said they would send her a $100 cashiers check that she could cash. All they asked in return is for you to wire $50 to them after you cash it. Problem is the Cashiers check is fake and while a bank may cash it, once it gets detected in the system as fake, the back will take back the $100 or file fraud charges on you. In the mean time, you already wired the $50 to the scammer.

I ran into this about 10 years ago. I was selling something for $600 and the guy mailed me three $600 money orders. I was suspicious so I took them to the post office to confirm that they were fake. Yup, they were.

Wait.... you were mailed, as in the US Postal System, 3 falsified USPS money orders? I'm somewhat surprised your local postmaster didn't turn that over to the postal inspectors, that's at least 4 separate offenses, 6 if the M.O.s were in individual envelopes.

Back