Brisket Help

I cooked two whole packer briskets this weekend on my WSM. Both were approximately 11 lbs prior to trimming. Choice briskets from Sam's Club.

Friday, I did an overnight cook low and slow at 225. I separated the Point & the Flat and made burnt ends. The Point turned out great, but the flat was too dry. I assume the Flat was over cooked.

Sunday, I did a hot & fast brisket and wrapped at about 160 degrees. The Flat was absolutely perfect, but the Point was a little more chewy than I would like. I believe the Point was underdone.

Can anyone provide some advice on how to get both the Point and the Flat to be done in terms of tenderness at the same time? I've done a ton of Butts and Ribs and they always turn out great, but briskets are more finicky for me.

Your flat might be underdone on the first cook. You might try cooking low and slow but a little hotter. Try 250 to 275 and see how that works out. Did you wrap?

When I get probe tender on the flat I wrap it in foil and into a cooler. I cook the point for 2 more hours while the flat rests. At this point you can cube the point for burnt ends or slice and serve both.

Back