Does aluminum foil leak ?

George Curtis

TVWBB Olympian
I use aluminum foil in place of the premade pans. No matter how careful I am about putting it in the tray, they always leak oil. Any ideas ? And no, I'm not buying pans. Thanks,

Only after whatever drips into the foil corrodes it. Same with the foil trays. After 12 years, this year I discovered that the aluminum pan that the foil pans sits in has developed pinholes from the liquid that ate it's way thru the foil pans over the years. I've starting to look around for something in used pyrex to sit in the aluminum catch pan instead of the foil trays.. I haven't found anything that fits yet even though it doesn't have to be all that big since the drip pan only has a small opening.

Bruce:
I use them, but often look and if I don't see liquid I tend to leave whatever is in it there since there is so much space. With the enclosed base on my 2007 Genesis, easy to grill, burn off the grill, shut down until the next cook when I scrape the CI grates without opening the door. To save some labor, I now put wide aluminum foil in the drip pan held in place with large paper clips. I then punch a hole the size of the opening in the drip tray.

To save some labor, I now put wide aluminum foil in the drip pan held in place with large paper clips. I then punch a hole the size of the opening in the drip tray.

I'm not a clean freak but after every cook I take a plastic putty knife to the Q fire box, then pull-out the foil pan and--since the liquids have solidified--run the putty knife along the foil pan bottom and nearly all the gunk is gone and the pan is ready for the next use. I'm not visualizing how that is more labor intense than what you're doing, lol.

B: I'm not familiar with the Q grills. My Genesis has the enclosed base and doesn't need cleaning after every cook. You can visualize the state of the drip pan looking down thru the grates and FL bars. Adding the foil to the drip pan has vastly reduced need to clean it and has made cleaning it much easier. Most contents from the grates ends up in the foil pan underneath that.

I use the heavy duty foil inside the pans. It works fine until one day when you walk out and the foil has been shredded by a rodent. When I’m not visited, I can toss and replace the foil inside the pan.

Find a kid in a ceramics class and ask him to make you a catch basin out of stoneware, fully glazed then y U can just put it in the dish washer.
You want to find a kid, an adult will charge you enough to buy a years worth of premodern foil pans!
Gee George, you throw nickels around like they’re manhole covers,;)

Timothy:
Wish I had thought of that when I had to take a ceramics course when I was in college getting a 2nd B.S. degree for my job. I had to make some pretty ridiculous stuff. Ceramic door stop shaped like a shoe, a meatloaf pan tilt stand, etc.

Yeah, I made silly stuff when I had my run at ceramics! If I had any sense, I’d find an old buddy and have him make me a couple of things but, I haven’t seen him in years! I still have the snake I made in kindergarten!

Yea, that's me. Just find it more convenient to use foil. Surprised I did not think of corrosion being the problem. Will change the foil regularly now.

Find a kid in a ceramics class and ask him to make you a catch basin out of stoneware, fully glazed then y U can just put it in the dish washer.
You want to find a kid, an adult will charge you enough to buy a years worth of premodern foil pans!
Gee George, you throw nickels around like they’re manhole covers,;)

Back