Hello from Reno, Nevada

Gary Winters

Hi all! I'm thrilled to have found this site. I've been grilling occasionally on my 22" kettle, and recently had the opportunity to purchase a very lightly used 2006 Summit Platinum which looks like it will rehab quite nicely.

That said, I'm not sure what happened to me. From occasionally grilling (and not knowing at all what I was doing), I've fallen head over heals in love with grilling! It's something I can see myself doing 4-5 times a week spring - fall, and even now and then in the dead of winter.

Reno can be quite windy. QUITE windy. We decided that using the kettle during high winds wasn't as safe as we'd like - too much chance of tiny embers blowing into someone's lawn and landing somewhere and starting a fire. Perhaps we were erroring on the side of caution, but that's the way we felt.

So, we posted in a foodie group on FB asking folks their opinions on other options - gas grills, smokers, pellet grills, all of that. A friend told us about his grill he'd be willing to part with for $200. A few days later, I was the proud owner of the Summit Platinum now in my backyard.

I've been going over it ever since seeing what it needed to bring to speed. The important stuff is all in good shape. The ignition works fine (although I have a question - is it missing a piece? All I have is a sort of spring-like thing hanging on the bottom like what's inside a flashlight). Seems like there should be a knob or something. I'm also missing the casters on the left hand side; right now it's resting on a 4x4 and that's working fine.

Anyway - I am thrilled to be here and to see all the amazing collective wisdom that abounds here. Hopefully, I won't be too much of a pest asking questions over and over. I'm a convert and I have all the questions we newbies have.

Gary:
Welcome to the TVWBB! Pretty windy down here in LV as well, but manageable with my Genesis. You'll find plenty of helpful people on the board who will help you troubleshoot and/or find parts for your new grill. On your other thread, it sounds like some type of blockage in your gas lines.

Last edited:
Hi Gary, and welcome!

Those grills have an Electronic Crossover Ignition System and it works the same whether you've got a 4-burner or 6-burner grill. Burners are grouped into pairs, and you light the left burner first followed by the right burner. Each left burner has a AA battery that creates the spark to light the gas when you push the ignition button on the front panel. The battery goes up into a holder and is held in place by a spring contact and a screw igniter button. So my guess is that one of your left igniters is missing the screw igniter button.

See page 36 of the manual: https://www.manualowl.com/m/Weber/Summit-Platinum-D6-LP/Manual/355864?page=36#manual

Thanks for this tip. I'll be checking it out. I may replace the igniter just because it's missing the button (I have only the spring) and in doing so, perhaps it will solve my other issues as well. Appreciate the link!
Hi Gary, and welcome!

Those grills have an Electronic Crossover Ignition System and it works the same whether you've got a 4-burner or 6-burner grill. Burners are grouped into pairs, and you light the left burner first followed by the right burner. Each left burner has a AA battery that creates the spark to light the gas when you push the ignition button on the front panel. The battery goes up into a holder and is held in place by a spring contact and a screw igniter button. So my guess is that one of your left igniters is missing the screw igniter button.

See page 36 of the manual: https://www.manualowl.com/m/Weber/Summit-Platinum-D6-LP/Manual/355864?page=36#manual

Back