Barbecue myth or truth ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
" if barbecue is smoked right, it doesn't need sauce "

I'm torn on this. I think it depends upon the meat. Its most likely a truth when it comes to beef, but pork and poultry, I'm not so sure.

No, it does NOT need any. Great BBQ will melt with the smoky flavor in your mouth. And all BBQ sauce does is cover the great taste of the meat in your mouth.
Maybe sometimes just a little sauce on a brisket sammie. Most BBQ sauces are filled with high fructose corn syrup anyways. Along with the crap Parkay that people sometimes put on ribs. Parkay is just chemicals.
It becomes a health issue. Especially in older people.
One of the better BBQ sauces that I will use from time to time is Bone Sucking Sauce. It gets a A + from Health magazine. Just my 2 cents worth.

Funny, I had just about this conversation last night at a whiskey party. My g/f & I brought a smoked brisket, a couple of chickens and a pile of smoked potatoes. The host asked me if I'd brought sauce, and I pointed out that I'd brought sauce in the past, and practically none of it got used. I don't think that anybody touched what he got out of the fridge.

Having said that..... my answer is a qualified yes and no. I prefer brisket and pork without sauce, an occasional glazed chicken can be awfully good. The problem is that sauces can be used to cover up a lot of problems with what's underneath.

It should compliment the meat, not overpower it, like a finishing-sauce.
A lot of peoples idea of BBQ is covered with a red sticky sweet sauce and I get it, but don't prefer it.

Tim

Just depends
Most people prefer some sauce
Just like most people like to dip french fries in catsup
Or put dressing on a salad

People even like sauces on $$$ steaks. As simple as melted butter, or like A1.

Its not a statement on meat either way, its a statement they like sauce. Dont read too much into it.

I wouldnt try to make a statement that good bbq doesnt need sauce, any more than the corrolary that poor bbq does. Its just something people like and are accustomed too.

I worked in middle east last yr. Apparently they dont use salad dressing there.....makes interesting eating when get salad. Overall...eat way more healthy than americans. Simpler, less sugar and fat and simple cheap carbs. Meat rice vegetables fruit flat bread humus.

In france, they put french fries INSIDE sandwiches. Weirdos. But thats what they like and are accustomed to.

Last edited:
We raised cattle. Our 'house meat' was custom raised on a strict diet. My dad did a lot of cookouts both steak and BBQ. If you asked for sauce, you most likely weren't going to be invited back!

If it's good I'll skip the sauce, and sometimes I'll use some at the end.

If the sauces are good (miss piggy mustard sauce) and adds a nice flavor, I'll add it to the side right at the start.

Steaks go sauce-less at the start but I'll go for the Heinz 57 towards the end.

<snip>

I wouldnt try to make a statement that good bbq doesnt need sauce, any more than the corrolary that poor bbq does. Its just something people like and are accustomed too.

I worked in middle east last yr. Apparently they dont use salad dressing there.....makes interesting eating when get salad. Overall...eat way more healthy than americans. Simpler, less sugar and fat and simple cheap carbs. Meat rice vegetables fruit flat bread humus.

In france, they put french fries INSIDE sandwiches. Weirdos. But thats what they like and are accustomed to.

The local burrito restaurants have Carne Asada Fries burritos. It's carne asada fries (fries served nacho style with carne asada) wrapped in a burrito. Decent, but I'd prefer a California, Bacon/egg/potato, or Al Pastor burrito.

I'd be interested in trying some of that Middle Eastern food.

I guess whatever floats your boat. We do way more grilling than BBQ and for the most part I'll add SPOG to beef and that's all. Ribs I do HH so smoke really doesn't come into play and I will put my rub on the ribs and then a light coating of #5 sauce at the end. Pulled pork a nice rub and then mix in the juices with a little more rub to add a little more flavor.
Different folks like different flavor profiles, it's all good.

Good brisket needs no sauce. Pulled pork generally needs something. Ribs I can go either way. I prefer sauce on the side though. Brisket with a sauce already on it is a bad sign.

From observation (g), I don't believe one can win a BBQ competition if the meat(s) aren't sauce.
Sauce includes Au Jus.

I do not think it "needs" sauce. However sometimes a little sauce can add some flavor.

I totally agree with Allen. "Needs" is the key word. Good BBQ should have enough flavor and moisture on its own, so it doesn't need any sauce. A sauce can add or change the flavor if you want. My last pork butt was delicious on its own, but on the 2nd or 3rd day of leftovers, I wanted something a little different, so I added a Carolina style sauce to it.

OK, so I approach this from a different perspective than some. I learned very early on that a good wine is one you enjoy. So if you like tomato based sauce that's fine. Like a vinegar sauce, that's fine too. No sauce-thats OK too. There is no right or wrong answer.
Simply, what do you enjoy? My guess is that over time your tastes will evolve and change.

OK, so I approach this from a different perspective than some. I learned very early on that a good wine is one you enjoy. So if you like tomato based sauce that's fine. Like a vinegar sauce, that's fine too. No sauce-thats OK too. There is no right or wrong answer.
Simply, what do you enjoy? My guess is that over time your tastes will evolve and change.
Come on Steve, that's way too sensible for today's I'm right and you're wrong mentality. :)

If only talking about brisket, then I think the statement is truth. Brisket that is juicy from all that rendered fat , doesn't need any more flavor. I see putting sauce on a properly smoked brisket like putting Heinz 57 on a prime rib eye. And if its over cooked and dried out, then it needs a sauce. What kind of sauce, IDK, cuz my tastes say sweet does not go well with beef.

But when it comes to pork or chicken, no holds barred, anything goes, whatever blows your skirt up :)

Sweet sauce goes really really well with pork.

Back