PBC hinged grate in WSM with gateway Hanging rack?

RyanS_MN

TVWBB Fan
In seeing the cool way PBCs cook but realizing the WSM overall is superior, I’m wondering if buying the hanging rack and having that hinged gate from the PBC would be a good compromise. I’m just not sure if anyone knows if it would fit or how well the 2 would work together. Any input would help. Thanks.

I have purchased the below to allow me to hang up to 6 of St louis slabs ( could easily get 8, but only have 6 hooks). Unfortunately, a lid hinge for the weber https://www.cajunbandit.com//product/weber-smokey-mountain-smoker-hinge-kit/ is meant to be attached to the body of the WSM. It"s not meant to be attached to the extension ring from Cajun Bandit - won't fit properly - it bought it and had to return it. But I will say The Stacker kit with the rib hanger is the best/perfect option out there to be able to do several rib slabs on a 18.5 WSM. I have awesome results. You just don't have the option installing a hinge for the lid. Hope this is helpful.

Cajun Bandit™ 18.5″ WSM Stacker Kit $159.99

Last edited:
Hanging rack in a WSM is great. You don't need to run both at the same time, but I suppose you could. You also don't need a stacker, but you might need to trim your slabs a little.

@Fritz...try putting the stacker between the bowl and the barrel (rather than the barrel and lid).

Hanging rack in a WSM is great. You don't need to run both at the same time, but I suppose you could. You also don't need a stacker, but you might need to trim your slabs a little.

@Fritz...try putting the stacker between the bowl and the barrel (rather than the barrel and lid).

@Mike in Roseville - Is this something you have done? That idea got me excited but I checked and it doesn't work. You have to flip the ring upside down so the lip fits over the rim of the base/bowl. Then the bottom of the extension ring (now the top after you invert it) does not fit properly with the barrel. It looks like with a little 'incentive' you could make it fit but I don't want to take the chance of getting the barrel out-of-round. My pit is so seasoned with residue that it seals perfectly with no leaks so I don't want to risk have that go away and doing permanent damage. I think the extension ring that I have from Cajun Bandit is designed to fit between the bowl/base and barrel. Thanks for the input.

In seeing the cool way PBCs cook but realizing the WSM overall is superior, I’m wondering if buying the hanging rack and having that hinged gate from the PBC would be a good compromise. I’m just not sure if anyone knows if it would fit or how well the 2 would work together. Any input would help. Thanks.
If you do go with a hanging rack I would recommend moving your ribs midway (say after 90-120 mins) before the bark sets. Move the ones on the inside to the outside for even cooking and turn the ribs 180 degrees so what was facing in is now facing out, again for even cooking. If your only doing a couple slabs, prob not a big deal. But i have found this to be the case when doing 4-6 slabs. Just pay attention to how the bark is forming as you baste. Your milage may vary.

Back