Two butts & Kingford Competition

Mike in VA

Hello all,

I’m relatively new to the smoking scene, but have a few smokes under my belt. My last attempt was a pork butt for 12 hours, using Kingsford classic. It was a hit with the family!

For Mother’s Day, I’m doing it again, but with two changes: I’m doing TWO butts, and am using Kingsford Competition (it was on sale at BJs). I’m picturing one butt on the top grate (like the first smoke I did), and the other on the lower grate.

So, my questions are:

On a WSM 18.5” with a butt on each grate, which hunk of meat gets the temp probe?

How do Kingsford competition briquettes differ from the classic in terms of longevity and heat output?

Thanks for any tips!

I've cooked three 8.5 pounders on the top grate so 2 are doable. Put the probe in the thickest or heaviest hunk of meat and enjoy the ride.

I would put the probe in the smaller of the two, it will probably be the first to finish and you don’t want one to over cook. When they get close to being done you can temp the other butt with an instant read just to see the difference. You can always swap the probe to the other butt if it’s cooking faster.

Back