Cheap Motorcycles

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I sold the harley I had for 2 years on Monday, that night I test drove 2 other bikes, and the next day I had a "new" one at home :)

2 things I didn't like about the harley was the noise - even with ear plugs (generic & custom), different helmets, different windshields, quiet inserts in the pipes, it just left a painful ringing in the ears. The other thing was how forward my feet were----didn't feel like a very aggressive position. And another thing: top speed was ~110mph, & it'd start to get head shake around 95mph+.

So I lost ~$300 based on what I paid vs sold, ~$2500 in accessories (more I'm sure), but I got to drive it for ~8000 miles.

Didn't sell it for $$$$, it was more of a concern of being out of garage space, concern of damaging it (it was in the way more than being used) and the fear of long term hearing damage.

Then on my way home from my first test drive 2 hours after I sold mine, I got a text back from the seller of the $2200 1998 Honda Magna---I rode it at 9pm, & went back the next day with cash.

I bought a 1997 magna straight off the showroom floor in 1996 & really liked it, so this has some sentimental value.

$1050 worth of parts are on the way...........tires/grips/levers/chain/sprockets/filters.. I changed the spark plugs & oil today & took it for another rip. IT'S FAST! The Harley was fun and I'll miss it, and I know the $$$$ I put into this cheap POS will all be the cost of admission (doubt I'll get much more than I paid if I ever sell it). This thing though..... it's 180# lighter and it feels about as much of a hooligan machine as my hopped up XR650L (my XR is PO'd).......I was doing my best to control myself especially since I'm not tuned up & the old machine has some junk parts on it (loose left grip for one....and the original tires I'm sure). I've been questioning my purchase until this last ride. Still, I know there are better bikes, & I can't wait for the harley riders to ask "where do you put the rice in that thing".

........and now I'm watching youtube videos on how to replace the fork seals & bushings, carb removal & cleaning.

Surprising what $3000-5000 will get ya.

While I was comparison shopping mine I kept wanting to buy others :)

"I don't sell motorcycles, I BUY motorcycles :)"

I'd have more If I had the room (have 3)

Next stop is the leather shop, I think instead of wrapping the seat with a cheap seat cover from ebay or vinyl from the fabric shop (or buying a new one for ~$350), this time I might try leather.

Old vinyl seat, on the brink of being a disaster
59999280_10214373221146284_1389285954476310528_o.jpg

59909403_10214373221386290_7992843698729648128_o.jpg

60340652_10214373223386340_6605300401463885824_o.jpg

60098557_10214373224426366_886749204314062848_o.jpg

add a little (3/4") leg room:
59940882_10214373225306388_5247825414323175424_o.jpg

now it's embossed leather (I don't think I'll become an upholsterer.....the leather shop tried to sell me the skin off an entire cow! I got half a cow's hide ($65), so I have some extra.

60147647_10214373227346439_2255087473711382528_o.jpg

Hey Clint this is Brandon (Tim's son). I went to school at MMI ( motorcycle mechanics institute) in my early twenties. I had the opportunity to work on all bike manufacturers in my clinical classes ,but got certified in Harley Davidson. IMO all bikes have pros and cons depending on manufacturer and year. I think Honda is a very reliable bike and they can be a steal and last forever if well taken care of. The engines are basically indestructible which is why I am a huge fan of them. They do a really good job with sound emission from the exhaust which is a plus for what you're looking for. As for HD (high dollar) hahaha that exhaust sound can be like a Camed out muscle car (depending on bike) which I love. I have a 97' sportster which is carbureted and man does it sound mean!

As far as controls ( where your feet sit) it sounds like your looking for Mid controls compared to Forward controls. Mid's (motocross for example) are meant for a more aggressive style of riding and rears (motoGP/superbike) are even more aggressive . Forwards are meant for more of a cruising style like choppers. Most controls can be changed with kits which typically come with linkage bars, cables, foot rests, etc.. depending on what route you want to go.

If you're interested in a more sporty Harley look at the V-rod. The engine was designed by Porche and it looks very similar to that last pictured bike. The V-rod has amazing throttle response, its super comfortable, and its a mean looking bike! It will cost a pretty penny but its a very maintenance friendly bike when it comes to DIY if you're interested in doing your own work.

My favorite saying when test riding a bike was "drive it like you stole it!" That's how you really can tell everything needed to know about that bike haha. Have a great day and "keep the rubber on the ground" (another great saying) : )

Brandon

Thanks Brandon :)

I think a sport bike might be next, that's why I test drove the Triumph Tiger (800). I almost like the thought of slapping a high-revving 750cc into my XR frame (bad idea I know - the XR is.....unstable at >highway speeds) - some of the KTM dual sports might be a good fit. I've been thinking more cylinders is better (like I'd rather have a 2 cylinder in my XR, or a 4 cylinder cruiser vs the V twin.

Driving the Harley 103 I felt it was lacking a little, and now on the 4cyl 750cc, it redlines at ~9600 rpm (HD was ~6000 I think), the engine sometimes feels like a cross between a cruiser & a sport bike.

I took this out for 100 miles today - canyon twisties, freeway, & back roads. I like the lighter weight, some things about the power, but I missed the windshield (bugs pelting my forehead & face). Passing a semi going opposite directions, each going 65-70mph, that was a big surprise! I remember thinking I might like a bigger (longer) bike on the highway, but then I thought about riding my cousin's R1 so????

I don't think my hearing is suffering but I really won't know until late tonight or tomorrow morning. I don't remember any motorcycle bothering my ears until that HD, even when it had stock pipes. I wonder how that Yamaha (above) would sound. I'm sure it wouldn't be as nimble, I haven't checked its weight or any specs yet.

Back