Using a rotisserie

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi
Just got a used 2011 Genesis E330. I was thinking about getting a rotisserie. Can members chime in and tell me how they like the taste of rotisserie cooked food. For instance rotisserie vs beer can type chicken. Thanks. George

If this doesn't convince you then I'd stick with the beer can chicken...

nRunRH8.jpg

nQmg0NZ.jpg

4TLxYk3.jpg

LlxUoqf.jpg

Ot2tTNB.jpg

u2NwRwv.jpg

Xqo4Vcn.jpg

I use and enjoy the rotisserie on my Kettles but have not yet used it on my Genesis. I'll mention one point--not to be negative or scare you--I have read where some people complain of poor results on Genesis models with vertical burners. Sam can correct me but it looks like his has east-west, or horizontal burners. If this is a true concern, hopefully those with actual experience can chime-in with pros and cons.

Last edited:
Sadly buying a rotisserie for front control Genesis like yours is a waste of time and money. Due to the burner layout especially on a nice cut of meat as was pictured all you will get is cooked to burnt ends and raw center. I attempted this same thing on my Summit 450 (same size as a Genesis but N/S burners) and the results were pitiful. It's why I kept my Genesis around after buying the Summit as I found out the expensive Summit was not nearly as versatile as my Genesis. Even today I use the rotisserie far more on the Genesis than I do on my Wolf which actually HAS a rotisserie burner! Bottom line just don't bother

Yah, I do have the E-W/horizontal burner layout. And LM is right, the vertical/N-S burners doesn't do the rotisserie justice unless you have an infrared burner. Some of my friends have the roti with the front burners on their Genesis and their roasts doesn't come out right (beef can be forgiving but chicken/turkeys are another story). If you can, look for a cheap/free genesis 1000/silver B, rehab it and use it as your dedicated roti cooker.

I’m still considering a roti for the Genny but, I have a hard time not simply loving the results from the kettle! Maybe “one of these days”
I like the idea of the dedicated roti unit, I’ll keep an eye peeled for a “good deal” but, not very hard! My wife is already starting to give me “the look” when I talk about another grill or grill project! She’s patient though.

Last edited:
Yah, I'd like to get a roti for the 26" kettle but the price keeps me away...for now. And my wife really doesn't like meats cooked with charcoal so that led me to getting it for the gasser.

Pretty much, so anything I cook on the kettle whether it be a smoked brisket, ribs, kettle FC, etc...she does not care for because she doesn't like that charcoal/smokey taste.

Wow.... While my g/f doesn't quite share my regard of all foods smoked, she does appreciate food grilled over charcoal (asparagus is high on that list.) She's a big part of why I built my monster.

That rotisserie food really does look good.

Thanks for replies. Just got a notice that rotisserie has shipped from. OneGrill.com. Don’t know if they would accept return. Does the poor rotisserie result for the vertical burners also apply to indirect cooking with only the end burners turned on???Worried.

If you are cooking a sphere, it should be fine. Sorry, bad joke, I’ll stand in the corner when I finish this.
The problem is that with the heats at the ends instead of front and back, the center is farthest from the heat source rendering burnt ends and raw middle. With the heat source running the “long axis” you have even heat along the length of the product. I think I’d just ship it back un touched.

Pretty much, so anything I cook on the kettle whether it be a smoked brisket, ribs, kettle FC, etc...she does not care for because she doesn't like that charcoal/smokey taste.
Does the poor rotisserie result for the vertical burners also apply to indirect cooking with only the end burners turned on???Worried.

What kind of charcoal do you use? If you're using regular old briquettes I don't blame her. To my taste buds anything cooked over them tastes like chemicals. If so try real charcoal (good quality hardwood lump). Burns much cleaner and does not leave the oil refinery taste and smell

As fo poor results on the new style Genesis. Honestly again my results on my Summit showed what a waste of time a roti is on those types of grills. However say you want to indirect cook a roast or a chicken. Place them length wise front to back and you'll be fine. I do this all the time on the Wolf hen I don't want to set up the rotisserie motor and such. Or you could skewer the chicken through the sides and it would work very similar to a proper Genesis. I tried this set up on the Summit once and got good if not a little strange looking results. Not saying you'll get inedible results but don't be looking for results like the rest of us spinners get with beautiful even browning and levels of doneness throughout. It physically cannot happen

I know because I tried it LOL. Thing is I did it on the Summit which has a really high lid, not sure it will work on the Genesis with the much lower lid. Shame Weber is so short sighted especially about what made them unique and IMO better than anything else

Thanks. Will have to try skewering it side to side. Also thought of using one of my cast iron pans as a drip pan and turning the heat on low underneath it to generate heat in the center.

Back