What is medium on a gasser ?

Steve Petrone

TVWBB Diamond Member
So, I am adjusting to a new Genesis. Full on high is over 600*. Weber's Big Book of Grilling says to cook hamburgers direct on "medium".
So what is medium on a Genesis 3-burner?
I turned the knobs down to what I thought might be medium. Result was 500*.
I'm thinking that is not medium.

I would call around 350-375 medium. I'm not sure how many burners you have but you might have to turn one of them off.

Last edited:
The knobs are just a reference. For my Genesis, high is grease fire. Medium is 450-550. When I start with the knob at medium after warmup, very slight adjustments either way make big differences in temps. My advice is to cook by the temps on the lid thermometer and learn what knob positions corresponds with those temps. I cook hamburgers at around 450, steaks at 550-600 and know what knob positions create those temps.

The knobs are just a reference. For my Genesis, high is grease fire. Medium is 450-550. When I start with the knob at medium after warmup, very slight adjustments either way make big differences in temps. My advice is to cook by the temps on the lid thermometer and learn what knob positions corresponds with those temps. I cook hamburgers at around 450, steaks at 550-600 and know what knob positions create those temps.

I agree with almost all of this! I just gave my Genesis silver B to a friend and made my 1st gen Genesis (deeper fire box, same burners & lid, more flavorizer bars) my primary gasser. I'm having to re-learn it but it seems pretty similar.

I did a third or fourth chicken on the gasser tonight. I managed to run about 375. It is taking a while to adjust to new gas. So far so good. thanks for the input.

When I first got my gasser, I put a Maverick thermometer probe directly on the grate. This way I got a sense of grate temp vs knob settings. More accurate than the lid (dome) temp reading.

With mine set to medium/off/medium it settles in at about 350. For burgers I usually set them all to medium and then maybe medium off medium to finish them off.

Back