The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Need advice on Grilling on WSM 18 vs. 22

Need advice on Grilling on WSM 18 vs. 22

Need Advice before purchasing 22" WSM:
    I grill chicken on my 18" WSM like the "Hot and Fast" recipe. No H2O pan and all vents open. I done this for years with great results.

I notice the 22" has much longer distance from top grill grate to charcoal on the 22" vs. 18".
    Would I still get pretty high temps to top rack with no H2O pan and all vent open?

Comment / thoughts appreciated.

TVWBB Honor Circle Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Heat is heat, it will need more charcoal because of the added air volume but, heat rising should not make any appreciable difference at all.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Thanks and I agree after thinking a little more with this old worn out head......

I bought my WSM before my kettle. When I wanted to grill, I just removed the middle section and laid one of the cooking grates directly on the charcoal ring. The WSM lid wouldn't necessarily "secure" to the bottom bowl, but it was a good enough fit for no leaks and heavy enough that it wouldn't fall off.

I did the hot and fast recipe with Chicken parts an a 22 and I put a layer of coals on the charcoal grate and then added a full chimney of hot coals. It work fine on the 22.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" and 18.5" WSM, SS Performer, CB Rotisserie, Camp Chef Smokepro DLX (Modified) Pellet Grill