Questions with first kettle restoration?

RyanS_MN

TVWBB Fan
I'm about halfway through my first kettle restoration and I have a few questions. This one's good to learn on since our plan is just to use it ourselves, but i figure if I learn enough I might have to copy a few of you on trying to flip one or 2 units lol.

Our unit was free so that helps, but the enamel has some marred spots on the side. Is there a good way to touch up these spots? High heat paint, or best to leave it be for now?

Also we have the probe style thermometer that used to sit on the lids (it's a 1996). Does anyone know a good replacement for that type? It just seems easier to get something newer.

Lastly, for the front leg I'm having 2 issues. First is it doesn't have the rubber cap anymore. is that just a 1" sized one? I know ace has them in several sizes but wasn't sure on size. And second does anyone know a good aesthetically pleasing way to keep that leg in place? It pops out constantly.

Thanks.

If your kettle is black you can use some black high heat pain to touch up the rust spots, but he kettles are normally glossy and I have not seen a really glossy high heat paint. If your kettle is any other color you may have a problem finding a matching high heat paint to touch up. Maybe just some high heat clear paint to prevent it from rusting further.
As for thermometers there are replacements available like this one:
https://www.grillparts.com/weber/weber-charcoal-grill-parts.asp?product_id=62538
And there are also lots of 3rd party versions out there.
As for the leg I had one too and never bothered ti fix it. Maybe some high heat silicon might solve the issue in holding in the leg or you can drill a hole from behind and use a little screw.

Back