Smoked Brats

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
[No pictures, so it didn't happen]

OMG, this was so good. I smoked 15 Johnsonville Original Brats in the WSM over Oak until they hit 165.
Into hot dog buns with caramelized onions and Sweet Baby Ray's Original.

Going to be near the top of my 'do again' list.

[Edit] I lightly oiled the brats and sprinkled them with Blues Hog Rub before smoking! :D

Last edited:
We just had them for Cinquo de Mayo-Fest, with a Tex-Mex twist. Oil and a little rub, like you said. Smoked them for about 45 minutes to 150 internal, then wrapped them in a flour tortilla along with some raw sauerkraut (with a bit of cinnamon and some grated carrot added), a strip of your favorite hot mustard. Mmmmm with a Shiner Bock.

Jeff

Ive never thought to oil or rub the brats before grilling or smoking - Maybe I'll give it a try sometime.

Sounds like a great way to have a midnight snack when doing something on an overnight! I like it, I like it a lot! Charles, about how long did they take, roughly?

Sounds like a great way to have a midnight snack when doing something on an overnight! I like it, I like it a lot! Charles, about how long did they take, roughly?

Hi Timothy! This 'recipe' is on p. 93 of "Smoke & Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison. It's called 'Store Bought Hot Brats'.
The part that really screwed me up was, "prepare smoker for barbecuing, bringing the temperature to 200* - 220*. I only used 2/3 of a chimney of KB, and never could get the temp down that low.
Decided to just let them got at 300* or so, (water in the pan) and after an hour, they weren't up to 165* yet. Took them inside to the oven @ 300* and finished them off.
Could be several things going wrong, but I don't care! All things considered, they were GREAT!

So, to answer your question, about 1.5 - 2 hrs.

My favorite way to do brats is to use an aluminum throw away pan with sauerkraut. Put the brats nestled in the kraut. Pour beer into the kraut and brats until the liquid is half way up the brats. Put the brats on the Performer (two stage fire) over direct until the kraut starts boiling. Then, move the pan over indirect with with lid closed for ten minutes. Then flip the brats, close the grill again and give it another ten minutes. Then, put the remove the brats from the kraut and grill them direct until browned on all sides. Put the brats back into the kraut and serve.

We sometimes use the brats on a bun topped with the kraut. Sometimes, we eat the brats naked with the kraut as a side dish over mashed potatoes. The brats flavor the kraut and the beer and kraut flavor the brats. Flat out "good eats"!

FWIW
Dale53

I’ve done the “Bratcuzzi” before with onions and peppers but, not with Sauerkraut in a while. Kraut sometimes really gives me serious gas! Thanks for the reminder though Dale!

Brats and kraut are ok but I prefer brats either grilled or smoked and sometimes in a brat-tub with beer, apple juice, onions and peppers.
Now polish and kraut is more up my alley.
Have you ever tried that Robert?

Tim

Tim,
I have not yet tried Polish Sausages and Kraut, but that sounds like an excellent idea. I will definitely give that a try!

Keep on smokin’,
Dale53:wsm:

Seems like I remember a thread where the OP was complaining about gas pains the next day after smoking brats.
We experienced that here. Does anyone have a way to avoid that?

I did some Kiolbassa “garlic sausages” with kraut laced with some ginger beer last night, damn skippy!
No excess gas from me even with beans! Something just worked right for my wife!

Tim,
I have not yet tried Polish Sausages and Kraut, but that sounds like an excellent idea. I will definitely give that a try!

Keep on smokin’,
Dale53:wsm:

This is probably my favorite way, subbing or adding beer and AJ along with the wine and stock.https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/sauerkraut-with-polish-sausage-244486
I usually cook the kraut in the oven for at least 5-6 hrs adding more liquid as needed. I also like to add a bag of fresh colesaw mix with carrots. Gives it a nice texture.
Edit: I only use fresh Polish.

Tim

Last edited:

Back