Charred ribs

Billy Surf

I have a 14" smokey mountain and have cooked many butts that turned out perfectly. I also have done a few briskets that were pretty good and some fish and sausage. Only once, about 6 months ago, I cooked pork spare ribs that turned out great. I followed the Franklin BBQ video. I wish i had taken notes because I cooked ribs again last week and the ones on the bottom rack were burnt! Not good burned, but chewy caramelized sugar burnt. The top rack turned out ok. I think I know what happened but wanted to confirm and get other thoughts.

Here's what I did:
Trimmed off breastbone and skirt -removed membrane
Olive oil and applied a rub evenly
Rub:
Salt pepper (2 parts pepper to 1 part salt)
Little bit of onion powder, garlic powder, paprika for color and chili powder

I sprayed cider vinegar on them and sauced them about 2 hours in with Rufus Teague Whiskey maple (I think this was my problem - high sugar content), cooked another 20 minutes then wrapped them and cooked for 3 more.

I THINK I should not put on BBQ sauce next time, just cider vinegar. Also, I can never get the temp above 225-250 when i have a full smoker. I did use the water pan 1/2 full and minion method with regular Kingsford. I let the coals get hot for 20 minutes before pouring on unlit coals.

Thoughts? I really appreciate your time reading this, btw!

Tomorrow, I'm giving it another go!

If I am going to sauce ribs, I do it as the last 30 minutes to an hour of a cook, just long enough to start to caramelize.

I don't understand the cider fixation folks think they have to add to any thing or spritze with, leave the BBQ sauce for the last few minutes of the smoke,that's not the wrapping method used by most folks btw, I don't wrap most of the time

Another way to sauce--don't while in the WSM. Smoking temps aren't high enough (normally) to carmelize. You'll just have warm sauce on them which you could do on your plate.

Once they're done, (to temp-never bothered with temp-- or bendable) sauce and put them on the Genesis grill just till carmelized or to your liking. There is an art to this, you don't just slap the sauce on and grill.

Very easy to monitor but like with all things covered in sugar, quick to burn if you're not paying attention.

The short time needed to carmelize will not overcook them.

If I am going to sauce ribs, I do it as the last 30 minutes to an hour of a cook, just long enough to start to caramelize.
NICE!!!! Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Another way to sauce--don't while in the WSM. Smoking temps aren't high enough (normally) to carmelize. You'll just have warm sauce on them which you could do on your plate.

Once they're done, (to temp-never bothered with temp-- or bendable) sauce and put them on the Genesis grill just till carmelized or to your liking. There is an art to this, you don't just slap the sauce on and grill.

Very easy to monitor but like with all things covered in sugar, quick to burn if you're not paying attention.

The short time needed to carmelize will not overcook them.

Ok, love that idea!

- - - Updated - - -

I always thought it was for moisture? Especially if I'm waiting to sauce, or not saucing at all during the cook, seems even more important.

Mike and Len are bringing good information here,
Why add an acid (vinegar) then cover with a sugary sauce, if you must spritz, use juice, the moisture to sugar should not be an issue for over fast burning. I’ve never seen much difference to be honest.
I really prefer Len’s method of a pot (or individuals) of sauce available! I am finding that I prefer them dry anyway. Sweet sauces are tough on diabetics.

I'm diabetic so my ribs are done without putting sauce on these days, I do provide it on the side and if doing a bunch of ribs I will sauce a few for folks. a taste of it tastes really good some days. Tabasco has a raspberry chipotle sauce out no that is great if you can find it, I aint looking at the sugars in it but its got some great flavors imo. a customer gave me a pint jar of honey his bee's had made,will sample a tablespoon of it for breakfast 1 morning when my sugar is low

Back