Why Yelp reviews are suspect

Hospitality industry years ago when I was working on a resort software package said that a happy customer would tell one other person, an unhappy customer would tell 10.

I've always looked at online reviews askance, and it's only gotten worse. TR is at least consistent, but hardly what I would consider to be high end, and certainly not barbecue (grillin' shack at best.)

Totally with you J.
TR is a grilled shop the pulled pork isn’t bad but, it’s also not what I go for. I go when there is someone in a group that loves the place. Generally that someone is a 92 year old and by God she can go anywhere she wants!

An interesting thing to do is look for a 1 star review and then check that person's other reviews. There are some really unbalanced raving lunatics that like to leave nasty reviews of places. One guy I found would give 1 star reviews because he didn't like the way someone who worked there drove. Google seems to reward this behavior. The guy in question was a Level 6 Local Guide, whatever that means.

Look at the reviews. It seems the ratings are a couple years old when you look at the dates. I think Yelp is going the way of MySpace.

Remember it is personal opinions and tastes. Some people like sickly sweet BBQ while others hate it. Some like the falling off the bone while others like it with a little tug. Look for the reviews that give details.

Dealing with refrigerators every day of the week I have a lot of folks tell me they checked consumer reports ect before they bought , then after they started having problems looked else where and seen all the complaints , $$$ and no real life usage goes into a lot of the reviews ,bad reviews get tossed out and no negative posts allowed,

Yelp review, Amazon Review, Google Review, Consumers Report. Delete them all and choosing becomes a shot in the dark. Look at the overall rating, read the reviews and then you might have a chance at making a good choice. Don't just stop at the rating.

Russell

Back