41 Year Old Bag of Kingsford: What to do?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
This is a 41 year old bag of Kingsford Charcoal, about 4 lbs left. Thanks for TVWBB member Mike in Roseville and his friend Sidney in Elk Grove for passing along this blast from the past!

What should I do? A burn test vs. current KBB? Cook with it? Donate it to the Smithsonian? Mike thinks I should do a burn test. Whatdayathink?

HI5rhdL.jpg

LAJGxRS.jpg

rx2xLe5.jpg

Hey that's the year we got married.:)
It still looks good. I would fire it up and grill something retro like shish-kabobs or London Broil.

Tim

That's cool :). I would cook with it (and have a backup, lol) and save the bag. If I recall correctly, when I started smoking/grilling 3 years ago I read on the Kingsford site that there isn't a shelf life.

You're welcome! I thought a burn test compared to a new bag of Kingsford would be neat. We always talk about how Weber has changed their formula over the years or comment that it's "not as good as it used to be." This might be a way to find out.

Or just cook with it :D

I had some other small unopened bags that were 20 years old that I started my fire pit with. Worked just fine. LOL

Hey that's the year we got married.:)
It still looks good. I would fire it up and grill something retro like shish-kabobs or London Broil.

Tim
Uh i took this completely different than... oh maybe you did mean that. Never mind.
Nicely played. Gonna say watch your sub-concious but nicely played

Chris, fly me out and I will bring some great sausages from my sausage guy! I have a couple packages of a very limited run of his “Duke” sausages!
Youze Guys.com I think if you’re curious

Just a couple observations/questions...

1. The bag is open? Charcoal is a MAJOR absorbent of humidity. Ive had open bags in my grill shed just through the winter, and it would not ash.

2. Copyright 1978. Are you sure that dates the bag? Could it be like from 1999, but the artwork was copyrighted?

Just a couple observations/questions...

1. The bag is open? Charcoal is a MAJOR absorbent of humidity. Ive had open bags in my grill shed just through the winter, and it would not ash.

2. Copyright 1978. Are you sure that dates the bag? Could it be like from 1999, but the artwork was copyrighted?

Yes it was open. That bag came with a few other unopened off-brand bags. Everything was dry. As for the date of the bag...it's old. That bag came with a mid-late 70's black Weber 22 (that was maybe cooked on 2-3 times), a vintage flower cover in great shape, and a NIB full sized Weber table.

Yes it was open. That bag came with a few other unopened off-brand bags. Everything was dry. As for the date of the bag...it's old. That bag came with a mid-late 70's black Weber 22 (that was maybe cooked on 2-3 times), a vintage flower cover in great shape, and a NIB full sized Weber table.

Mike, wanted to let you know that I've not forgotten about this! I just got sidetracked with other stuff, including the big push to move TVWB to WordPress. But I'm getting closer to a burn test. I'm corresponding with Kingsford and with TVWBB member Mike Barger (K retiree) to decipher the production code on the bag to determine the actual age of the charcoal. Then I'm gonna burn it!

. I'm corresponding with Kingsford and with TVWBB member Mike Barger (K retiree) to decipher the production code on the bag to determine the actual age of the charcoal.
I think this may be the first example of carbon dating in connection with barbecue. ;)

Could be diamonds in the rough

<chuckle> That was the running joke with a (or on...) a good friend of mine. His g/f at the time was putting a lot of pressure on him to pop the question, enough that the joke was toss a charcoal briquette under his *** and in the morning you'd have a diamond.

Back