Strap bolts stripped - ideas?

Dave Z

I am trying to install some new, custom straps on my Weber 57 cm (22 incher).

I have six years of grease and rust and the nuts and bolts weber uses are crap.

So screws are stripped. I knew that would be the case...

I have broken several bolt extractors and coated them in WD40. Any other ideas on how to get the old nuts and bolts out would be welcome...

I suck at DIY... :)

Thanks!

That'll take care of the heads or whatever he can get to with the wheel. Unfortunately, if Dave has already broken off extractors, he's in for some fun. Those are generally pretty hard steel, and you'll drill out the metal outside before you touch the extractor. There are ways to tag the extractor with a welder, personally, I haven't done that. (Maybe I'm not understanding where Dave's at.)

Further, WD40 is really a water displacer, not a rust breaker/solvent. PBBlaster, or SeaFoam DeepCreep, or better yet, AeroKroil, are decent to pretty good commercial products. Me, I use a 50/50 mix of acetone and the cheapest ATF I can get my hands on (takes a sealed can to store, the acetone will evaporate.) That's the best stuff I've found yet.

I am trying to install some new, custom straps on my Weber 57 cm (22 incher).

I have six years of grease and rust and the nuts and bolts weber uses are crap.

So screws are stripped. I knew that would be the case...

I have broken several bolt extractors and coated them in WD40. Any other ideas on how to get the old nuts and bolts out would be welcome...

I suck at DIY... :)

Thanks!

Just grind off, grinder or dremel.
If theres enough head , vise grips.

Thanks all....getting some better rust remover and will try a grinder or hacksaw (on the inside of the WSM). I am also borrowing some "special" vice grips that are designed to hold stripped screws.

I will win...:)

Back