Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boston Butt Smoke then Sous Vide - It Works

All I have to add to this thread is I'm really enjoying the read, cause I also own a SV!

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Here goes. I smoked the ribs at 180 for 4 hours with heavy smoke.. Meat temp was 158 when I removed the Baby Backs from the smoker. Vacuum sealed the ribs and put them in the pot with the immersion circulator set at 165 and water at temp. I was guessing at the time so I chose my high guess and cooked for 7 hours. This is copied from my log. "Good solid bark, good smoke ring, acceptable moisture, very good taste, texture was approaching too soft." I forgot to add mild smoke flavor. Talk about melt in your mouth - too sender. My wife likes fall off the bone but these were more tender than that and didn't fall off the bone. Next time I'm going to do 6 hours and see if I get more moisture and BBQ texture. Gonna work my way down one cook at a time. Tenderness is determined by SV time and temp. I'm not changing the temp.

Folks, this is a whole new world for me but I'll never Sous Vide then smoke again. The smoke comes first because of the better taste and much better bark...
    Last edited by Lew Newby; 05-19-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" and 18.5" WSM, SS Performer, CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill

TVWBB Platinum Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    All I have to add to this thread is I'm really enjoying the read, cause I also own a SV!

Tim
    Boy, no kidding! Pass the popcorn!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Platinum Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew Newby View Post
    Here goes. I smoked the ribs at 180 for 4 hours with heavy smoke.. Meat temp was 158 when I removed the Baby Backs from the smoker. Vacuum sealed the ribs and put them in the pot with the immersion circulator set at 165 and water at temp. I was guessing at the time so I chose my high guess and cooked for 7 hours. This is copied from my log. "Good solid bark, good smoke ring, acceptable moisture, very good taste, texture was approaching too soft." I forgot to add mild smoke flavor. Talk about melt in your mouth - too sender. My wife likes fall off the bone but these were more tender than that and didn't fall off the bone. Next time I'm going to do 6 hours and see if I get more moisture and BBQ texture. Gonna work my way down one cook at a time. Tenderness is determined by SV time and temp. I'm not changing the temp.

Folks, this is a whole new world for me but I'll never Sous Vide then smoke again. The smoke comes first because of the better taste and much better bark...
    Given my access to a SV, this is really good reading!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Newby View Post

I'm glad you added that Lew. I usually SV and grill, but was on the ledge on SV first and smoke, or the opposite.

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

I'm delighted that some of you find this informative.

I AM NOT an expert on this but I'm just passing on my attempts at combining smoke and SV. I smoked the Butt on the WSM at 240 but with water in the pan. The water kept the bark from setting up after 6 hours. I smoked the BB ribs on the Pellet grill at the LOW/max smoke temp. - 180 and no water. After 4 hours of smoke the bark was very firm and stayed firm through the SV process. I vac sealed the ribs and that ensured no water got on the bark. I think there's a lesson there - no water in the smoker. Do you folks agree?

I know this isn't for everyone and that's fine. I'm just an old man playing with his two fun toys.

BTW Sous Vide corn on the cob is great.
    Last edited by Lew Newby; 05-21-2019 at 10:45 AM.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" and 18.5" WSM, SS Performer, CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12