Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boston Butt Smoke then Sous Vide - It Works

Boston Butt Smoke then Sous Vide - It Works

About 3 weeks ago I bought an Anova Immersion Circulator and cooked in a Stock Pot. It did fine. I had an old 48 Qt. cooler in my attic so I brought it down and set up a Frankencooler (Google it) in my garage. This Sunday we hosted a family get together and I tried it out. I smoked a 10 lb. Boston Butt on the WSM for 6 hours and that put it in the stall. I then removed it, put it in a 2 Gallon Ziplock bag and into the Frankencooler. I had the water at 165 F and left it for 20 hours. I removed it, pulled it, and served. My family raved and I had fewer leftovers than ever. My Son-in-Law and Grandson both liked the smoke flavor. The meat puled easily, had great moisture, little fat, and tasted great. For an experiment this one worked out better than I had hoped.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" and 18.5" WSM, SS Performer, CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill

Well I am a sous vide cooker also, but I googled Frankencooler and it looks like someone trademarked the name. It's an ice chest with modifications to become an ice chest air conditioner. Back to topic. Here is a search link to Frankencooler and sous vide This method sounds doable and I might give it a try.
    Russell
    Russell
    If you're not on somebody's *hit list, you're not doing anything worthwhile

TVWBB Pro
    Twice now I've used an ice chest with my sous vide immersion circulator. I picked up a gross of cheap ping pong balls to float on top to minimize heat and evaporation loss.

Thanks Russell, I was unaware of the air conditioning version of a Frankencooler. On your link is a hit on the Anova Culinary article and I used their directions. I just used a cooler I had and didn't try to duplicate the size of theirs. A smaller cooler would be easier to fill to the minimum water line. 12 gallons in my case. I had been on the fence about Sous Vide but I decided to try it and while there's a learning curve I'm delighted that it works so well on smoked meat.

JKalchik This old Igloo cooler holds the heat extremely well and I filled it just above the minimum water line. I cooked Broccoli on Thursday and just let the water cool with the lid closed until Saturday night when I turned it on for the 20 hour cook and never added water After cooking in a Stock Pot and fighting evaporation all the time I wasw tickled pink.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" and 18.5" WSM, SS Performer, CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill

TVWBB All-Star
    Aghhh! Next thing you know, you'll be cooking with pellets!
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers, Smoke EZ, GMG Daniel Boone, White Thermapen MK4

You're right Lew. If I had a bucket list I would be checking these off my list. I've cooked over campfires, in kitchens, on a gas grill, in a Igloo cooler, on a Pellet grill that I'm happy with but Charcoal cookers are my favorite. It's fun mixing the Sous Vide with Smoke.

Smoke then sous vide is a great technique, especially to get it done in advance and not worry about timing. I did a whole brisket last summer - smoked for a few hours, bagged and put in sous vide cooker for about 36 hours at 155F. Refrigerated it until the day of. Reheated on the grill, slice and serve.

Sounds really good, Lew. Wonder what your results would be like reversing the process - start in the SV, then finish in the smoker or low-heat grill. That way, you can get some good bark.
    ; ; ;

TVWBB Pro
    <scratches head> It'd be an interesting experiment, but considering tribal knowledge that claims smoke is only taken on by the food at low temps..... I'd be prepared for a nearly non-existent smoke presence. Definitely something to try before doing it for a crowd.

As I understand it cooked meat will only take on just a little smoke on the surface and there is no smoke ring when you Sous Vide first.

Jim I did a rack of Baby Backs a couple weeks ago and, even though that method is all over the Internet, the ribs were just so so. This morning I smoked a rack for 4 hours at 180 with lots of smoke. The bark was set and internal temp was almost 160. I vac sealed them and put them in the Sous Vide at 165 for 7 hours. That may be too long but I'll find out at dinner. Will report on this thread on the finished product. Learning the times for the smoke then Sous Vide method is a trial and error process - but fun. I enjoy using the two cooking methods to produce a good finished product. Tender with smoke flavor.
    Last edited by Lew Newby; 05-19-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast