Rotisserie Brisket Point

Chris S in YEG

TVWBB Fan
Good Morning All

I was at my butcher on Saturday and wanted a top sirloin roast to do on my Weber Genesis Rotisserie. Unfortunately they were out of top sirloin and suggested two brisket points tied together to make a roast. I said sure paid and brought them home. I am now thinking if rotisserie will work out or should I cut the string and smoke them separately.

I want to do the rotisserie but the only time I have ever made points was low and slow and they turned out great.

I am considering put them on my BBQ at a temp of 350 and let them spin until they are done. Should they still be treated like a brisket and wait till the internal temp reaches around 200 or tender? or can I treat it like a top sirloin roast and look for a medium rare at 140-145.

Anyone have any experience cooking points as a roast? Any suggestions or pointers would be great.

Totally different types of muscle - totally different cooking process.

The sirloin is a muscle of suspension (muscles not used in movement of the animal; provide structure and support to animal) and as such have very little connective tissue. Cuts from this area are very tender. Since these muscles are so tender, dry heat methods are used to prepare them. Grilling, roasting, stir-frying are examples of dry heat method.

The brisket is a muscle of locomotion (muscles used to move the animal - contain more connective tissue than suspension). Cuts taken from these muscles are typically cooked at a low temperature with moisture to help tenderize the beef and soften the connective tissues making them tender and juicy. These methods are referred to as moist-heat methods. Braising, slow cooking, cooking in liquid are all examples. (my note... As in Low and Slow BBQ)

The above information is from the Iowa Beef Industry Council... iabeef.org
An excellent source of beef information.

Totally different types of muscle - totally different cooking process.

Agree with all that. The apex of a well-cooked brisket point is when the considerable internal fat renders completely into juicy, beefy goodness. I have not discovered a shortcut to that nirvana. Just low and slow for as long as it takes.

Jeff

This is what I was thinking when I made the purchase 2 different temps for cooking these cuts of meat. With the outdoor temperature we have here in Edmonton, AB 10 C (50 F) I shouldn't have a problem keeping my Genesis low and still using the rotisserie. Just the amount of time now has gone up significantly.

This is rather like the old question...
“Do you walk to work or, carry your lunch?”
I know, to the corner I shall go!
It would be interesting to know what the “butcher” was thinking. Bob is absolutely correct, they don’t cook at all the same way!
Was this guy a real butcher or a cryopack opener?

This is what I was thinking when I made the purchase 2 different temps for cooking these cuts of meat. With the outdoor temperature we have here in Edmonton, AB 10 C (50 F) I shouldn't have a problem keeping my Genesis low and still using the rotisserie. Just the amount of time now has gone up significantly.

The term low is very much a relative term. Brisket can be cooked at every point between low and slow to hot and fast. What changes most is what you said in your last statement... Time.

Wishing you a good cook and some pleasant eats.

350...no. you wont render the point well in time it takes to turn outside hard. People put point back on and make burnt ends for a reason.....its often not rendered enough.

I had a point where the center of it was cut out by packer, looked like a tooth with 2 roots after separating from flat. I Used flat for pastrami. I cut it in two, flipped one part end for end of and tied into a roast with twine, and cooked it that way. It cooked fine...slow.

Back