Cinco De Mayo, Smoked Carnitas

Pat G

TVWBB Emerald Member
So this isn't the traditional way to make carnitas, but it sure turned out good.

7# bone in pork shoulder.

Topped with some chipotle peppers getting ready to go in the marinate.

Marinated it overnight.

Out of the marinate and added the rub.

On the 14WSM with lump and some pecan, running at about 290.

I took it off the WSM after 4 hours.

Ingredients for the braising.

Ready to go into the oven.

continued..............

After 4 hours in the oven at 275.

I put it under the broiler to crisp it up a little.

Plated.

Lily also celebrated Cinco De Mayo. My wife and daughter dressed her up. She is a rescue so we celebrate her birthday on Cinco De Mayo.

This turned out great and we have all sorts of leftovers. Thanks for looking.

Maybe not the traditional way, but the right way. That had to be great, very nice cook Pat. Lily looks cute.

Pat, that is over the top great cook. I'd take some of those left overs any day. I do agree with Cliff, Lily took first place.

Pat,

Did you cover that in the oven? I was thinking of using a crock pot for that step, but then thought maybe you let the liquid cook down a bit.

Thnaks,

Jim

Pat,

Did you cover that in the oven? I was thinking of using a crock pot for that step, but then thought maybe you let the liquid cook down a bit.

Thnaks,

Jim

Jim, yes I covered it with foil while it was in the oven. I didn't reduce down the liquid at all but I did pour some over the meat before putting in under the broiler. I also poured some liquid in the container with the leftovers.

Mouthwatering. I have used a similar technique with the WSM and finished in lard,
and also have finished off in the Instant Pot. Lily is a cutie.

Back