High heat gloves - welding/barbecue: seeking recommendations

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
If you have a pair of leather welding or barbecue gloves that you love can you recommend a specific pair? I have an older pair that has worked extremely well for my use but I bought a new pair that does not cut the job. On the old pair, I can pick up an occasional stray coal; not so with this new pair. If I had bought the old pair from Amazon it would be easy to know exactly what I purchased :(. Thanks!

Sorry pal, I most often use whatever work glove that was cheap, when they burn through, bye bye!
The last really heavy “gauntlet” style pair I bought was a blow out on some “CharBroil” pair but, I don’t really like gauntlets unless I’m going to be pretty deep in. Most times I use some heavy leather “Wells Lamont” for unloading the chimney, and snagging the occasional errant coal. Those were a three or four pack from Costco.
Was that the least bit of help?

Thanks for the tips, gang. This new pair is branded as Hobart from Tractor Supply. I'm mystified that they did not offer the protection that I had from my older, non-branded pair. Maybe I got the April fools special.

You may have gotten gloves for TIG welding. My TIG welding gloves are much thinner than the gloves I use for MIG or stick process, due to the manual dexterity involved. I wouldn't care to pick up hot metal or coals with TIG gloves.

I have welding gloves but i certainly dont use for barbecue. Thats what tongs are for.

Then again, i never need to add coals, etc.

The high heat rubber gloves that are lined is all need for food handling, shifting meat to move grate, etc.

I've seen a lot of YouTuber video folks, using these white cloth gloves under black nitrile gloves, I have some of these , but have yet to use them

Yeah, I have a similar pair of cloth gloves that I use sometimes when I use a garment steamer or press.

For handling meat I use some cheap Ace Hardware gloves that are cloth, dipped in some kind of rubberized schmazz , then given a texture. I cover those with those super extra large latex gloves, which get tossed after every use. For handling hot metal and cooker parts, the Pit Mitt is pretty good. Nomex with a cross-hatch of silicone for grip. Fits left or right hand. About $15 bucks each at most BBQ supply places or home centers. Very handy in the kitchen as well.

Jeff

The “Ove Glove” as seen on TV! Bed bath and beyond stocks them is another option. My brother gave me a pair of them, I don’t really care for them. They work but...

I've seen a lot of YouTuber video folks, using these white cloth gloves under black nitrile gloves, I have some of these , but have yet to use them

https://www.atbbq.com/outdoor-living/dining-tables-chairs/counter-and-bar-stools/hantover-knit-gloves-white-60-40-blend.html

I am use this combination for adding, removing and moving the food around. I have a couple pairs of BROIL-KING gloves (because I keep misplacing them and finding them once I buy another pair) for emptying my chimney.

I use cheap welding gloves from Harbor Freight for handling any hot metal racks, the charcoal ring or anything like that. I have a pair of insulated black rubber BBQ gloves that I think I got from Academy sports for handling hot meat.

Wish I'd seen this post earlier. I've used Ove Gloves for years. I do a lot of cast iron cooking and they are ideal for handling the temps. They are washable too and are available at Amazon, Target, Walmart etc.

uLG4F6mOLH5STJdqIO_N_S_2GKTdnBjgFviNO0RV-lvjgokHAm3BpDQG-y4z4A_2nqOG1LoR67p58jH73WwKQz6-nVWIUxOrKs2IwFzGTMHM6FvnFw0Hfs42OAJL8kO83iLLtbTPWJlBZB_1NFJaKGHH-jjGF56HmZoN4sNyW7iEQ8mNZDjThanh3ehHRwkuy8hWOVcAPFFgmtZQIJk=s500-pd-e365-rw-pc0xffffff

Last edited:
I have used the following two glove styles for at least 12 years now. One for moderate to medium temps, say only short duration at 350 deg or higher and one for temps above that. They are inexpensive given there use the medium temps have good tactile control for moving food about on the grill or smoker, pulling items out of boiling water, and breaking down items after you pull from the heat source, like breaking down whole chickens, roasts, shouders, etc. The other I use for temps above 300 deg as they have a longer time before you feel the heat.

Medium temp, short term temps above 350, these will develop hardened areas if they spend too much time in extreme heat or handling hot grates etc:

Showa/Best Black Knight - if you search you can find them in 10, 12, and 14" lengths. I have seen them in single pairs in
hardware stores and BBQ websites for as high as $14 a pair :) I show one example/source below:

https://www.newpig.com/showa-black-knight-pvc-gloves/p/WPL390

High temp above 350 for handling or moving fireplace logs liftiing full grates of food, etc - leather welding gloves. I've used a single pair for
at least 12 years. They have limited tactile sensitivity but your really just using these for short, quick moves with really hot items, they will get
soiled and develop hards spots, but you really don't care with these:

One example, which are the ones I have:

From BBQ GURU - "BBQ and Hearth Leather Gloves" Stock Code: B800-2001-141

HTH!

Back