Burnt end sauce

Fred BW

TVWBB Fan
I have been trying to find the holy grail for burnt end sauce.
A lot of recipes simply say to cube,pour BBQ sauce on and return to smoker. I havn't been very impressed with that method.
I have tried beef broth with Bullion and sauce,still not impressed.
But the one I tried yesterday,I am going to stick with for the next few times,and tweek it here and there.
I had two points about 2 to 2.5 lbs each.
Add sauce after cubing and return to smoker for a couple hours.
The sauce goes like this.

2 cups of Cola. Heat in sauce pan to reduce 50%. I used a 12 OZ can of Coke. I have read a lot of recipes with DR. Pepper, I will probably try that next time. I have been reluctant to try soda pop but it seems to work well.
But to that add.
1.5 cups BBQ sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup of rub (I have a beef rub I use) Just use your favorite rub.
2 tablespoons of honey.
That was enough to do a little over 4 lbs in 2 8X8 foil pans.

I was pretty happy with the way this came out. It wasn't as gooey as I was after,but the taste was awesome.
Next time I might try more cola and let it cook down more to get gooeyer.

Iduno, I have searched the archives for burnt end recipes,and for the most part just found the generic "pour sauce on and return to smoker".

If anyone else has the "holy grail" of burnt end sauce please post it here.
While I am fairly happy with what I just posted above there is always room for improvement:)

Last edited:
Root beer (not coke) in homemade bbq sauce for ribs is great :D Haven't tried it with beef though.

I think you have the right flavors. W'shire is very good with beef. I experimented with it and balsamic vinegar to foil brisket ( used 7-up for liquid). I liked that and it was very simple.
You might try adding balsamic vinegar at some point. Use better vinegar.

Another option would be Cheerwine. A local restaurant in Charlotte does Cheerwine burnt ends and they are pretty good.

After trying Coke, Rootbeer,Dr. Pepper, & 7 up.
I think Dr. Pepper is the winner.
I liked them all. I didn't consider any of them a flop.
It's pretty amazing the Root beer or Dr. Pepper taste doesn't really come through.
No one has been able to tell me for sure what kind of pop i used.
But I have made 2 batches with Dr. Pepper and I think it's the best!
It isn't only for burnt ends though. I think it would taste pretty good on about anything.
I still havn't tried orange or grape Nehi

I might try coming up with my own rub to add to it. Because the rub I have been adding to it makes it come out pretty salty.

Back