Wind break help

T Bounds

TVWBB Super Fan
Greetings, friends.

Recently I purchased two food grade 55-gallon metal drums, previously used to store honey. I'll use one to make a crude smoker. It's the other one I have a question about.

I cut the "bottom" off so what I have left is essentially a metal sleeve. It fits perfectly over my 18" WSM to act as a wind break, which was my idea in the first place. Now here's the question. I plan next to cut the sleeve in half, leaving two u-shaped semi-circles. I have no problem with that step. What I want to do is put hinges on one side of the sleeve and handles on the other side. I have a fair collection of hand tools but I don't weld and don't plan to. So what can I get at my local Lowes or Home Depot to act as hinges and how can I attach them? I could drill holes and use bolts but I don't want anything long; that shortens my room for error. Same thing for handles. I could get garage door handles and bolt them on, with the same issue.

So, any suggestions? Thanks for any help.

T, just go to Lowe’s. They’ve got everything you’ll need. I would look at bolts about 1/2” in length and see if the will be long enough. The metal drum isn’t very thick, so I would think 1/2” but no longer than 3/4” would be the way to go. Good luck and let us know how your project turns out.
Tim

Thanks, Tim. I'll check in to that. Maybe a bolt with a lock washer will hang on.

Dan, I've thought about air flow but I don't think it will impede it. There's sufficient room, I think. I'll know better once I try it, and of course if it does create an air problem then the hinged solution will help. That way I could leave it open just a bit, but I'm still thinking I won't have to. Regardless, time will tell once I experiment.

T, I agree with the lock washer step, just make sure to get heavy enough hinges too.
As for air flow, you could either cut a few slots in the drum wall or simple set the thing on some strategically placed bricks. That will allow intake unimpeded and still avoid temperature robbing wind.
You could even bolt some 3”-4” legs on the bottom edge, buta brick is less intensive from a “How much tinkering do I REALLY want to do?”

A piano hinge might be the best solution. Probably the strongest-per-pound option. You can use a drill and pop rivets for a simple and sturdy fastening job.

Jeff

Thanks again Tim, Dan, Timothy, J and Jason. This is why I love this forum; no knotheads, only quality help.

As it stands, I plan to make the slices, purchase a riveting tool, and rivet a SS piano hinge to one side and garage handles to the other. Sounds good in theory! I'll let you know how it turns out, with a picture if I can.

Back