Blue Cheese Chicken Patty Melts with Grilled Onions

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
WEBER-DH made this back in November 2016. I thought it was good. DH being a cheese lover, thought it was Very Good!!. You be the judge lol

Blue Cheese Chicken Patty Melts with Grilled Onions

1 1/2 lbs. ground chicken (preferably thigh meat)
1/4 cup mayonnaise
4 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 large sweet yellow onion, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch slices
Extra virgin olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground pepper
4 slices blue cheese, each about 1 oz.
8 slices rye bread

Shape the ground chicken into 4 equal-sized patties, each about 3/4 inch thick. With your thumb or the back of a spoon, make a shallow indentation about 1 inch wide in the center of each patty so the centers are about 1/2 inch thick. This will help the patties cook evenly and prevent them from puffing on the grill. Cover the patties with plastic wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to grill them, or for at least 5 minutes.

In a small bowl mix the mayonnaise and mustard.

Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350 to 450F).

Lightly coat the onion slices on both sides with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until fully cooked but still juicy, 12 to 14 minutes, turning once. During the last 2 to 3 minutes of grilling time, place a slice of cheese on top of each patty. Transfer the patties to a platter.

Brush the bread on one side with some oil and toast the slices over direct medium heat until browned on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes, turning once. Serve the burgers on rye with the mayonnaise mixture and some onion on top.

Source: Weber's On the Grill, Chicken & Sides by Jamie Purviance

Last edited:
Hi Joan! This looks really good...will try tonight. Thanks for posting so many delicious recipes. Been in a rut and needed some inspiration...

Hi TCampbell, THANK YOU!!!!!! That really means a lot to me. If you do try this, hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

This was outstanding! Couldn’t find sliced blue but crumbled worked well with a tsp of stock in a double-boiler setup. Will definitely make again. Thank you!

This was outstanding! Couldn’t find sliced blue but crumbled worked well with a tsp of stock in a double-boiler setup. Will definitely make again. Thank you!

I am so glad you enjoyed it. Thanks for letting me know. Are you saying you melted the cheese in the stock?

DH said that is a good idea. He wants to try that next time. He usually likes to put his cheese inside the burger. He said your wife has good taste. lol

Might look at AB’s Mealoaf in recipes and mix in 4 oz of crumbled blue cheese (or Gorgonzola) in the last step.

Back