Southern BBQ

I've been saying for quite a while that there's 'cue and there's 'cue. "Okay, you like barbecue. Just what about it do you like? Meat? Rub? Sauce? Now we're getting somewhere."

I'm a huge fan of Central Texas preparations. There's nothing wrong the other styles, I've been known to make Memphis ribs and a Carolina inspired pork butt. One of the women I work with (remote from South Carolina,) swears by mutton with a vinegar marinade, claims it's not gamy, just plain tasty.

I try not to be snobby about it, but it's hard. Generally, if I don't see a wood-fired pit of some kind, I'm not interested. That's not to say I don't make exceptions. I'm just not likely to go out of my way for it.

Here in western NC, you will not find pork BBQ cooked with a rub (in mom & pop restaurants). Not sure about South Carolina, but I am quite sure eastern NC BBQ is prepared with no seasoning.

Me, personally, I like a rub after trying it for the first time a few years ago, but places like Bridges do not need a rub...

UNC-TV's, Bob Garner, has the best job in the state. All he does is sample restaurant food. :cool:

Last edited:

Back