As I predicted...Heinz MAYOCUE

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
As I predicted...

fP7ATFb.jpg

Good review Chris.
I've been mixing bbq sauce with mayo for a few years now, ever since I asked a waitress at Red Robin how they make their campfire dipping sauce for the onion rings.
She said mayo and bbq sauce, that's all. I've also mixed bbq sauce with ranch dressing for flatbread grilled pizzas.
Utah's fry sauce is a mix of ketchup, mayo, onion powder and some recipes call for pickle juice too.
Variations of fry sauce can be found in other countries under different names.

UT's fry sauce is pretty good, I've made about every variation I could think of over the years & BBQ's only been tried a few times (not my fav).

There was a fish & chips place near me that I tried to copy many times, & I finally got it like I like: 2/3:1/3 mayo:ketchup, slight amount (1/8 tsp?) liquid smoke ((1/3 cup batch)), and I like to add a little pepper.

Just make small batches.........similar to cocktail sauce, it takes some eyeballing to get the colors just right, and I haven't made any FS for >6 months I bet. These small batches can turn into bigger batches while making adjustments.

Did you review the mayochup too?

Did you review the mayochup too?
No, I did not.

I love ketchup. I love barbecue sauce. I like all kinds of mustard. I like a little mayo and mustard on a sandwich. I will put a little mayo, ketchup and mustard on a burger. I have enjoyed 1000 Island dressing on a salad on a few occasions. But generally I'm not a "fry sauce" guy, not a fan of In-N-Out Burger "spread", etc. Something about the combination of creamy mayo + BBQ sauce didn't work for me...at least not this version from Heinz.

I also found out after the fact that there's a fourth product called MAYOMUST.

If that really is close to the Cane's sauce I'd be all over it. I love that stuff and even dip my fries in it. I may need to give it a shot. Awesome review!

If that really is close to the Cane's sauce I'd be all over it. I love that stuff and even dip my fries in it. I may need to give it a shot. Awesome review!
There's several Cane's sauce recipes on the net with some variations on amounts of each ingredient.
This seems to be the most common:

• 1/2 cup mayonnaise.
  • 1/4 cup ketchup.
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt.
  • 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce.
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste

The Salt Lick has pizza night on Thursdays and MayoQue fits oddly into the picture. They have a nice big deck outside their Salt Lick Cellars tasting room (yes, Salt Lick wine). and for some reason, built two very nice wood-fired pizza ovens just adjacent. It's sold out in advance every Thursday. Reasonable prices for pizza and wine, but the killer appetizer is house made potato chips with a mayo-bbq sauce- Salt Lick Rub dipping sauce. I'm not a huge potato chip guy, but I could make a meal out of these because of the sauce. The secret is the proportion of rub and they get it right. Pizza night got rained out last week, but we'll head over in the next couple of weeks.

Old Thurman Roberts, the Salt Lick founder, had a lot of land and started planting vineyards. He was one of the first to plant Sangiovese and other Italian varietals in Hill Country. There is a pretty good wine producer about 4 miles down the road -- Duchman Family Vineyards -- that produces the wine from Salt Lick-grown fruit. Thurman is gone, but his son runs the operation now and I'll bet he has close to 100 acres of vineyard across all his properties. While not the best bbq in Texas, The Lick is a reliable B+ and a very fun place to eat. (The turkey and sausage are VERY respectable.) It's a huge and impressive facility in the middle of nowhere that still manages to have a down-home atmosphere. Worth a stop.

Jeff

Back