Massive WSM 22" Cleanup - HELP!

Jim M7

I just bought a 22" WSM off Facebook for $75, I am excited about that. My problem is this unit was used at a restaurant and never was cleaned up. There are places that have smoke creosote buildup that is 1/2" thick. When I first saw a picture of the smoker, I thought someone had painted the exterior flat back. I found out that the issue was a buildup of creosote on the outside of the kettle, not sure how it would ever get that bad on the outside. So, I figure I will have to scrape it with a putty knife and use oven cleaner on it to help remove the mess. I know that you should not use oven cleaner but I want to remove as much of the mess as I can to minimize any off flavors the creosote could leave behind.

Is there any suggestions you guys might have to help with this cleaning?

Oven cleaner, putty knife, single-sided razor blades, Simple Green, 0000 steel wool. What you're going to do to this grill inside and out is the same as restoring the lid of a gas grill or a vintage kettle. Use the search box to search for "razor blade" in quotes or "restoration" and you'll find tons of posts describing how people had cleaned up old grills. Yours will just take a whole lot of elbow grease!

So, you are the guy that bought that now famous smoker.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/275313323422007/

We had a nice little discussion about this in the gasser forum, and it made the rounds on
all of the fb fan pages. You got a helluva deal there. It will take some work, but there is
no reason that shouldn't clean up well. Chris laid out the details pretty well there. I would take
the razor blade to it first thing as most of that will scrape right off, and it tends to do better
before it gets wet. After you get off the first thick layer, hit it with oven cleaner and let if sit
for a few hours or even overnight. I would then hit it with a power washer, or take to the local
car wash.
Sams Club grill cleaner works well on the aluminum door, but that old door on yours may be
a lost cause. You may end up wanting to replace it. Please post pics when you are done. I
would have bought that old smoker in a heartbeat if I was closer, and I am looking forward to
the final product.

You can crumple up aluminum foil into a ball and use it as a scrubber to scrape off the gunk. Aluminum foil won't damage the porcelain coating. I would use a plastic putty knife, but I would probably not use a metal one just in case it nicks the porcelain.
I would check with Weber customer service about using oven cleaner.

I ASSUME if it's safe and effective in an oven, which is typically porcelain coated, it would be safe and effective in a smoker, too, but check with Weber to be sure. However, I never even try to get the inside of my smoker perfectly shiny clean; I just knock off the crud every now and then.

You can also try taking it to a coin-op car wash and pressure spray the smoker.

Yep, I am that poor soul! I was out Sunday power washing another grill I am refurbishing (Red Genesis 1000) and I could not keep from pulling the WSM 22.5 out and seeing what kind of results a quick power wash would give. It helped.....ok not much but I did knock off some stuff. I ended up taking a few minutes and chiseled off some buildup in the fire bowl. It was like a rock. I did use some oven spray on the lid exterior just to see if I could find that beautiful black finish and yes it was there. So in a few weeks once it get my Genesis 1000 finished (if it will ever stop raining here so I can paint), I will start on the real cleanup of the WSM 22.5. I will continue to take pictures and post a few when I am done.

By the way, what is the best way to add pictures to the posts I make here?

I did a kettle restoration and what I found best is a hose, sponge, dish soap and then razor scraper. I got a kettle to like new. I suggest that

Still working a little bit on the WSM. I just finished restoring a Rec Tec 680 pellet grill and am now working on a Weber Red Head 1000 for my daughter. It has been slow due to the weather here in Indiana. It seems to rain almost every day...hey if I wanted that I would move to Seattle. LOL Hopefully I can focus on the WSM and get it finished. I will post pictures of everything once I am completed. I know looking at picture of other peoples completed projects help to keep me motivated. The pictures are like a fix (drug) for my grill habit! Everyone enjoy the Memorial Day Weekend! Thank You to our Veterans!

Good to know you are still on the project.
We are getting that same never-ending rain that you are.
I am ready for some blue skies.

Back