My new favorite hard cider

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
My previous favorite hard cider was Ace Pineapple Hard Cider. This is my new favorite, found at Costco.

3yRil9V.jpg

"(The) crisp and flavorful 1868 Hard Cider is now being sold in Northern California and Los Angeles Costco locations!
Made from 100% U.S. grown, fresh apples, (the) alcoholic cider makes a great addition to any holiday celebration!"

Have not seen this in southeastern Wisconsin Costco stores.

Hard cider was one of my favorites. I always felt it was one of the healthiest alcoholic drinks when I made it.

It's easy to make but it'll turn vinegary if not careful.... takes about a week in a fermenter to get to the point where it'll get you drunk, another week or so to lose the very tart flavor.

I'm 75 days dry and I gave away most of my brewing equipment a couple weeks ago so I won't be making any more in the foreseeable future.

I just made my own batch again. Coming from an apple wine region in Germany with really dry and tart apple wine I could not find any here. Since I am brewing as well I just made this on the side.

I've been told by members of my homebrew club that make great cider that one of the secrets to making good hard cider was to make sure that you kill off *EVERYTHING* in your base cider (using something like potassium metabisulfite,) before you add your chosen yeast. Dad told me about letting cider ferment in the fall and leaving the barrel outside in the winter to make really hard cider (freeze distillation.)

I used to think I like dry cider, then I had the opportunity to attend the Great British Beer Festival in London. Over 600 different fermented brews. The dry cider I sampled had fermented out completely, water, ethanol and just a few flavoring compounds were left. I've never had anything on this side of the pond that comes close.

Back