Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cracking your pizza stone

Have never used a stone only my cast iron stuff or I simply put the pizza directly on the grill

Regular ceramic stones are good for ovens, but they can’t handle the high heat from a grill. Look for a cordierite pizza stone for grilling and try to keep the charcoal around the edges and not directly under the stone.
    among others...

TVWBB Platinum Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Heck, I used to use ceramic tiles from my kitchen floor project, they’ve served very well for some time, now I have a Pizzaque though I’ve not fired it up yet! Soon it will be tested, I hope.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Thank you Robert. That is interesting. I never considered lifting it even higher. It makes sense. I will have to give it a try. I have been avoiding cast iron anything lately because my wrists aren't strong enough to lift them and even two handed, it can be difficult. I try to see if I can lift the rack and put a stone on top. Thank you so much.
    22", 18", 18", 18", 14", copper kettle

I slide pizza onto the grate, but indoors, I use these unglazed tiles. A box of about 30 6" is about $25 at lowes/home depot.

They also work great for the bottom of an rv/camper oven.

TVWBB Platinum Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    That’s the stuff Ed!
    Used them for probably 10 years, they worked very well!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Gold Member
    Donna;
    You'll find the rack to be quite light. It is easily handled. The stone works VERY well on top and both the top and bottom of the pizza finish at the same time. As I may have mentioned, I use a flash light and look through the top vent on the lid to check on progress. I can do that in day light or night time. Sometimes, depending on the fire, you may want to spin the pizza 180 degrees half way through. Again, you can check the progress through the top vent.

Keep on smokin',
    Dale53
    Mini-Joe Gold, 14.5 WSM, 18.5 WSM, 2 Performers with Vortex, gasser (taking up space), SJS, JJ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12