Cook brisket and ribs at the same time?

ChrisD-UK

Hi,

I've got a WSM 22 and was planning on doing a point end brisket and ribs for a BBQ on Sunday. I've done brisket once before and started it at 0700 on the Sunday and had to take it out at 86c as I ran out of time, it wasn't terrible but was a little tough.

So this time rather than start at 0400 in order for it to have 10-12 hours I'm wondering if I can part cook it on the Saturday, say from 1400 to 2200 and then finish it for 2 hours on the Sunday? I'm a bit concerned that part cooking may dry it out too much and I won't be able to get that juiciness back in the following day.

It's a 6.5 lbs point end brisket and was planning on smoking it at 110c for 10-12 hours and then using half for burnt ends and half just sliced and served.

I'm ok with the ribs as I've been doing those for a while on the WSM but not sure on the best path for the brisket?

I poke test for doneness at 88C. I like to double foil wrap the brisket, wrap it in a towel, then leave it in an ice chest for 2 to 4 hours. As I told my wife (real happy about the towel :mad:), that’s where the magic happens. I find the rest finishes breaking down the connective tissue and always make for a tender product.

I like the extra couple of hours of cook time as briskets are cook differently.

I recommend 10 to 12 hours (foil if you want at stall), foil wrap if not already done, into the cooler for 2 to 4 hours.

If doing burnt ends, cut them before foiling (ice chest). Mix with sauce and back onto the smoker while the rest is hanging out in the ice chest. Both should get done right about the same time.

My 2 cents worth....

Last edited:
While 6.5 lb should cook fast enough
Its always hard to predict cook time.

The point .....is either awesome or gross.
The fat has to render out of it for it to be awesome
This takes time, not just temperature
Which is why people make burnt ends out of it
When flat is done, point isnt rendered enough yet
It cooks faster to temp, but its not necessarilly ready to eat. Often need to go 10-20 F higher than flat, or more, and hold to break it down.

Slicing point doesnt work well. It does better chopped. It simply falls apart once rendered. If not rendered well...its greasy greasy greasy. Did i mention its greasy if not rendered well?

I actually think choice points are better than prime, as far as the ones i cooked. Less fat there.

If i was serving one piece of meat, it wouldnt be a point. You cant dry it out, thats a good thing. It can be the best thing ever....but got to get most of the fat out. Ive found that not always as ez as sounds. I dont make burnt ends, i like my point chopped, and on a bun.

Last edited:
One time I did a split cook on a whole packer. That takes more time on the smoker and more work than just cooking it start to finish. After the first cooking session I cooled it down to food safe temp and I had to get it back up to the temp it was at when I took it off. That was about 175° F. I won't do it that way again.

If you held a foiled point at 170 in the oven it would continue to cook and render fat and I don't have any idea what finished product you would get. Sorry I can't be more help.

Back