Super unstable after hinge?

Paulo

Hey guys I just installed an Unknown BBQ hinge. Per the instructions I installed it above one leg.

Now I can push the middle section off the bottom section with one finger. First I thought maybe I just needed to get used to it, but the mid section just came off again when I opened the lid.

Did I do something wrong? Am I supposed to line it up between two legs instead of just inline with the one? Maybe my bottom base isn’t as secure as I thought but I did not have this problem before the hinge.

I think my only solution to this is going to be do get some body clamps unless somebody has a better suggestion.

I feel I am doing something wrong since this is such a popular mod and so never heard anybody mentioning it making the grill less stable.
Thanks

Hey guys I just installed an Unknown BBQ hinge. Per the instructions I installed it above one leg.

Now I can push the middle section off the bottom section with one finger. First I thought maybe I just needed to get used to it, but the mid section just came off again when I opened the lid.

Did I do something wrong? Am I supposed to line it up between two legs instead of just inline with the one? Maybe my bottom base isn’t as secure as I thought but I did not have this problem before the hinge.

I think my only solution to this is going to be do get some body clamps unless somebody has a better suggestion.

I feel I am doing something wrong since this is such a popular mod and so never heard anybody mentioning it making the grill less stable.
Thanks

Im not surprised, it doesnt take much to dislodge shell. I have hinge on kettle, but figured it would be not as good as it sounds on wsm. Especially because want to get on all sides to spritz, and need to do fast.. but i was worried about stability too. I bought clamps just to roll mine across deck, never installed them i carry top part, roll bottom.

Last edited:
Installed one on our 22" WSM. Absolutely NO problems, even with both grates and (empty) water pan removed !

I have one on my 18.5 and have no problems.
I don't really have any problems spritzin either. Yes the very back side takes some extra effort. But no more effort than figuring out where to sit the lid:)

I have one on my 18.5 and have no problems.
I don't really have any problems spritzin either. Yes the very back side takes some extra effort. But no more effort than figuring out where to sit the lid:)

I put mine in a corner of deck . I just move lid to side so one edge rests on wsm, most of lid on deck railing. They are same height. Too simple to do anything else.

Back