Braised Lamb Shanks

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Well, this was supposed to be my cook on Easter Sunday, but a nasty bug caught up to us and delayed the plan for a few days. Anyway, we're better now and I finally got it done last night. Here's a few pictures.

Took this one out of order. This is the Gramolata. It tops the lamb and the sauce just before serving, a garnish I guess. It's chopped parsley, raw garlic, finely chopped and very coarse lime zest. Just wanted to get it out of the way and into the fridge.

enhance

Here's most of the ingredients. Bypassing the obvious items, front row is vegetable broth, Pinot Noir, both in measuring cups. Large bowl at right are chopped Leeks. Four small yellow cups at top are cumin, dried chipotle chile peppers, smashed garlic and Cattleman's Steak Seasoning.

enhance

Searing the shanks in the 7 Qt. DO. Did it in two batches. Sorry about the smoke and steam.

enhance

enhance

Softening up the carrots, leeks. Garlic is in there too.

enhance

Added the Chipotle Chiles, Bay leaf, cumin and Steakhouse Seasoning.

enhance

Put the shanks back in.

enhance

Topped off with Braising liquid, wine and stock.

enhance

Simmering away.

enhance

Just about done, around 1 hr. 45 min.

enhance

Pulled out the shanks and ran all the rest through our Ninja to make a wonderful sauce.

enhance

Plated it up over some white rice with the sauce and the Gremolata.

enhance

Very tasty meal. Lots of wonderful flavors. The meat was very tender and easily managed with just a fork. The Chipotle Peppers added that nice smoky flavor with just a touch of heat. Hope you all had a nice weekend and thanks for looking everyone.

Looks incredibly good, Cliff! Pics are fantastic as always. Glad you are feeling better. My wife and I had the flu and it took about a week to finally feel somewhat normal.

Not a lamb lover, but will say your cook looks super tasty!
Pics are great too!
Hope those nasty cold/flu bugs have gone away for everyone.

Back