HOW TO: Weber Frame Cross Member repair

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
WHAT: This is a How To on replacing the frame cross member on the left side of the fire box on Genesis Silver/Gold and 1000-5000

WHY: This part of the frame is a problem area that attracts substantial rust due to being next to the fire box heat. The rust is centered around the bolt area that holds the fire box to the grill frame. I had to do this on a grill yesterday and figured I would take the time to film it and help someone else out as this problem commonly pops up in the forum.

WHAT YOU NEED:
o Genesis gas grill frame
o extra piece of square tubing stock. Either from another grill or purchased at a local H/W store.
o two square tube connecting nuts appropriate for the size of tube that you use. https://www.mcmaster.com/2417T61 or these: https://www.mcmaster.com/2417T27
o two 2" stainless steel 1/4" bolts for the cross member ends
o one 2" stainless steel 1/4" bolt and nut for the fire box through cross member
o three nylon washers for the bolts
o drill with 5/32" drill bit
o 7/16" wrench for the bolts
o angle grinder with cutoff wheel
o center punch
o the Rockwell Jawhorse makes it easier but not required

Here is a video I did when I did the replacement on my most recent rehab. I am not a videographer and it was windy and I didn't have a stand for the camera, so you get what you get, but I think it shows the process pretty well. Just don't laugh at my bald head and fat butt. :rolleyes:

14 minutes, 39 seconds

Last edited:
Yah Jeff, that thing is a great help with these grills. It was perfect for the frame repair work.

Bruce:
A great instructional video along with parts list! Probably not news for flippers,but great for the average guy who wants to keep his grill going for more years. I've seen others describe the technique, but this video makes the process even clearer. Also, loved how you incorporated the Jawhorse into the process. A great companion to my old workmates. Each has their own place.

Yah, thanks Jason. My pepper growing hobby has been somewhat supplanted by my Weber hobby.

The reason I did the video was for the newer members who come here looking for advice on dealing with the frame rust issue. I have seen several over the past couple of years and instead of having to explain it all over, it will just be easier to point them to this thread. I am a member on a truck forum and they have an whole section devoted to "HOW TO"s and it is a great resource. I am hoping other members post up some "HOW TO"s on some of the methods they use in rehabbing old webers. The Chris Allingham "HOW TO" on lubing the valves is a great example as well. When someone complains about sticky valves, it is just easier to point them to the HOW TO instead of trying to explain the process over and over.

Great work Bruce, not only on the grill, but the video also.
Making a video like that was likely twice as much work as fixing
that frame.

Bruce,
That is so cool how you made that video. The practical aspect will be a lot of help to many, and like you said can be referenced for new members with similar issues. It is also fun to get a brief glimpse into your setting and seeing you in person. I hope I can do something similar someday. Maybe a South Florida Edition for TVWBB;)!

Thanks so much for taking the time to create and share this video:coolkettle:.

Great video, Bruce! I have to do the same project on my Genesis so this video will be handy. Some questions for you.

Which tube nut are you using? There are two available:
Leveling Mount Inserts for Tubular Legs
Or
High-Capacity Leveling Mount Inserts for Tubular Legs

Is it necessary to attach the firebox to the frame? I have to drill mine out and was thinking of not bothering with the bolt when reassembling the grill.

Lastly, what do you use to record this video and to edit it? When I took home movies of the kids, I didn’t realize how much work it is to really edit a film.

Tube nuts: Either these: https://www.mcmaster.com/2417T61 or these: https://www.mcmaster.com/2417T27 depending on what size square stock you are using.

Yes, you need to attach the box to the frame at that point. Otherwise it can slide to the right on the frame and that will impact the propane valve fit in the burner tubes. That one bolt is the only anchor point of the fire box to the frame.

I use my old sony shurshot camera to record the video....like most digital cameras these days, it has a video record mode. You could also use a smart phone camera. I use Movie Maker from Microsoft to edit. It is a very simple but free program that used to come with windows, but they quit including it in Windows 10. You can still download it for free. It isn't a real fancy video editor and takes some time to learn, but it gets the job done fairly simply and inexpensively.

Thanks Bruce, really helpful video. I am making my first attempt at this on my first rehab and have to purchase the tubing. Which is better, 1" or the 1 1/4" that is there originally?

Thanks,

Richard.

I can't say which would be better. I used 1" as I had a piece of 1" tubing and the connectors for it already on hand. Either should work fine.

Good video.

It seemed like you were "grinding" with the cut off wheel or did you change to a grinding wheel and I just couldn't tell? Those cut off wheels can't take the side load like that.

I've got a whole fleet of grinders and must say that in general it's a lot safer to use one with the side handle attached.

Jack, yah, all good points on safety. And yes, I was grinding with a cutoff wheel. Kids, don't try that at home.

Back