Tried Kettle Fried Chicken?

Jason in CA

TVWBB All-Star
What are your thoughts on kettle fried chicken? Admittedly I have not read all of your books so you may have already covered that.

Since this was a bit of an afterthought in a different thread I figured I would elaborate. I tried Kettle fried chicken for the first time about a week ago. I was inspired from a thread found here
https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?29897-Kettle-fried-chicken

I was wondering if you dabble with this, and if so do you have any advice, tips, and or tricks that you use when you are making it?

Last edited:
Jason, I did experiment a lot recently with grilling and smoking chicken wings that have the best possible crispiness. I found that baking powder can be really helpful here. In Weber's Ultimate Grilling, I have a Grill Science column where I go into details about all sort of things related to food chemistry and such. Here is a condensed version. The baking soda in baking powder will make the skin of chicken wings more alkaline. That speeds up the browning process and makes the skins crispier. For each pound of wings, use 1/2 teaspoon baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Set the seasoning wings on a rack in the refrigerator overnight. That's a good start for some crispy wings. Good luck!

Thank you for your response. That's something I'm definitely going to have to try now.

I think you were answering at the same time I was editing the first post. did you see the link that I put in on the first post after the edit? Or was your answer based on kettle fried Chicken without the extra information after I did the edit?

Back